Strange issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Strange issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Post by Executioner »

I bought this laptop cheap ($75). It's has the i7 processor and 8 gigs of ram with a SSD and a fresh install of 10 Pro. I like this laptop because it's easy to take apart, and the net has plenty of replacement parts for it. Right now it's only a spare laptop.

The issue: The hard drive activity led does not show any activity at all when it's booted and within the OS. It will flash a couple of times quickly during boot, but after The Dell logo goes away - nothing. I took it apart and replaced the small circuit board that houses the HD led, power led, and wifi led. Same issue. It does not matter if it's plugged in or using the battery which is new. I went through the Dell diagnostics and everything checks out okay. Can't find any info using google.

This is the small board that I mentioned:

Not sure what else to try unless it's a motherboard component issue which means the mobo has to be replaced. Everything else on the laptop works fine.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Strange issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. Going to have to assume it;'s a mobo issue, but if that's your only problem, it could be worse. There was a utility I've used on laptops that don't have HDD lights, that would give you a drive indicator light on the taskbar:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/activityindicat/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Strange issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Post by Executioner »

Hey thanks for that. I have it installed and working. In some of the laptops that I have repaired, I have noticed that some do not have the HD indicator which I thought was strange.