Bought a defective Ring Floodlight Cam and Ring knew it was bad before I did

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Bought a defective Ring Floodlight Cam and Ring knew it was bad before I did

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Set up a Ring doorbell and a couple of floodlight cams at niece's new house yesterday.

It was getting late in the day and the last flood light cam I installed was giving me problems. I've installed a ton of these things at my other investment homes, and I can normally do it in my sleep.

This one would work for a while, and then go offline. Manually forced a Wifi reconnect a several times, and it would just go offline after a few minutes. When it was online it was getting a strong Wifi signal. I rebooted the Wifi router just in case it was acting up, but no joy. It was getting late so I figured I'd go back today or tomorrow and check to see if there was a loose connection (sometimes a wire nut doesn't grab the wire properly). Maybe take it down, set it up on the garage bench with a lamp cord I carry around for testing these things, and figure out how to do a factory reset, and maybe have to spend an hour on the phone with tech support to get an RMA.

Then I check my email early this morning and I have an email from Ring (sent to the unique email I use for my Ring account, so I knew it wasn't some kind of scam, which was my first instinct), saying that my Flood Cam was defective because it failed to install the firmware update, and they gave me a coupon code for $218 to replace it on their online catalog.

So I just ordered it. Boom.

Nicely done Ring.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Bought a defective Ring Floodlight Cam and Ring knew it was bad before I did

Post by Losbot »

Very cool. I just wired one up over my garage door. Loving it. Nice and bright.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Bought a defective Ring Floodlight Cam and Ring knew it was bad before I did

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On it's way, and I can keep the bad one. They just sent me some recycling instructions.

Going to definitely take that puppy apart. If nothing else, I'll save the lights as spares.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "