Battery in my Asus G751JT

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Battery in my Asus G751JT

Post by Executioner »

quit working and shut down the laptop. It would not turn on with the power brick or battery only. So I began the process of taking it apart to remove the battery to see if it can start without it. The process is...well...a fucking pain in the ass. There is a short video on the process:

So I was playing a game, and all of a sudden it simply shut down. It was not hot, but I did let it cool, but it would still not power on. Upon removing the battery, I noticed that a section had bulged and I noticed the electrical burning smell. So now the battery is stilling outside to make sure it does not catch on fire. So now I have to settle with another replacement battery, this time from Amazon. The one that caused the failure I bought from NewEgg.

It's a nice laptop, but the design of the battery compartment, making it not user friendly to the average joe to change it out. Asus wants you to send the entire laptop to them for repair, causing upward of $600, which does not include shipping or even the coast of a battery. My new battery should be here tomorrow.

specs:
G-Sync Technology
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3 GB GDDR5
4th Generation Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD
17.3" IPS FHD 1920 x 1080
16.4" x 12.5" x 0.9"-1.7" 8.4 lbs.
Err
Life Member

Re: Battery in my Asus G751JT

Post by Err »

I remember when laptop batteries would just slide off the back of the laptop.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Got my new battery today, but there are 2 issues with it:
1. It says the life of the battery is 79.3%
2. It arrived with 0 charge

It's currently charging, but I sent the MFG a message via Amazon. According to the instruction sheet that came with the battery:
Pls discharge the battery to 2% and then charge fully to 100% at the first cycle after purchase.
ME: what if the battery is already at 0%???
Do not discharge the battery pack to 0% as that will damage the battery pack and shorten its life
ME: so now I will have a battery that is "damaged" according to the instructions, and the life of the battery will be shorten.

It's a bummer that Asus will not sell a replacement battery to end users. You have to send the entire laptop back to them. Not going to happen on a laptop that is 8 years old. So now I have to rely on batteries that are crap.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Forgot to mention: if you think the battery was a PITA, here is how to replace the keyboard:

I'm currently doing that now, but I did buy a fully replacement keyboard and touch pad. My only problem is there is not enough plastic left after the old keyboard was removed.