JB Weld vs Threaded Inserts

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

JB Weld vs Threaded Inserts

Post by Executioner »

I'm sure most of you guys have used JB Weld before. It's great stuff. I used it once on my 71 El Camino that developed a cracked gas tank neck. I simply removed the gas from the tank, removed the gas tank from the car, cleaned the area very well, then applied JB Weld. This was back in 1977. When I sold the car in 1995, it was still on there working.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: JB Weld vs Threaded Inserts

Post by reno »

JB weld great stuff . but not everything . not surprised with the helicoil when we realized there owned by Stanley now . I'm not a fan of anything Stanley haven't been for last 15 to 20 years . think they do everything to the minimum spec. or just above . starting seeing the quality drop like said about 20 years ago, we buy a harbor freight screwdriver before we buy a Stanley one today.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: JB Weld vs Threaded Inserts

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've used both, mainly on model plane engines. Not unusual to strip out the threads in the cylinder head for the glow plug, and helicoil inserts were the usual fix.

JB Weld I often used for metal repairs. I had an airplane engine block that had the crankcase broken open after a crash. JB weld did the trick and that engine ran for years after.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "