Weird issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Executioner
Life Member

Weird issue with a Dell E6540 laptop

Post by Executioner »

Got this Dell E6540 laptop from Goodwill. Very nice cosmetic condition inside and out. I rate it a 9.5 out of 10 for this 9 year old laptop. Looks like it was not used much. Picked it up for $50 including shipping. I'm guessing it was given to Goodwill because if you remove the main laptop battery and plug it back in, the laptop will try to boot even with the lid closed. When this happens, It loses all the original BIOS settings in the process and it won't boot to Windows. I have never run into this issue before, but I got it fixed.

First, I had to replace the original CMOS battery. It measured only 1 volt. Put a new one there, but still the same issue. So now I remove the main battery and pull the CMOS battery out. I hold the power button for 1 minute to remove any residual voltage. I then reconnect the CMOS battery and plug in the main battery. So far so good. I press the power button and go into the BIOS to set the date and time, and other settings.