Motherboard booting problems.

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
sheerdark

Post by sheerdark »

Hello again all.

After much help by several technical support sites and people, I have finally gotten my system to actually power up and down, however it still does not work. I forgot that on an ATX system you have to hold in the power button to turn it off with the front panel button. So, my actual question is....Why is my computer still not working? I have my floppy, my cd-rom, my Voodoo 3 3000 video card, and my 20 gig hard drive plugged into the mobo, and they are connected correctly, per the online manual. However, when I plug in the power supply and turn on the computer it does not boot and nothing comes out of the PC speaker. What the heck could be going on? What makes a mobo not boot the puter? Any suggestions would be greatly apprecieated, anything that could help, please. Thanks.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

need some specs on your mobo etc. if athlon make sure your ps is 300w or a strong 250 - mine simply wouldn't post with a 235 even though the fans would spin

if that's not an issue - make sure cpu ram and vid card are all properly seated and no jumpers are in the wrong spot

if that doesn't work, try reinstalling the mobo itself

there is nothing more frustrating!
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
sheerdark

mobo problems=hard drive or need new mobo? Tyan or Soyo?

Post by sheerdark »

Yes, you are exactly right...this really sucks. Well, I have the Jabil Kadoka motherboard, made for Gateway computers. This is a jumperless motherboard, so...I do not have any that are in the wrong spots. Also, I just went out and bought a 300W Antec power supply, which is recommended by AMD, so it should definately be able to power the machine. I also have brand new RAM, etc. However, I just noticed something right now while playing with the computer......the hard drive light is always on when the system is powered. This could definately be a problem, I know...but would it keep it from booting? Can newer ATX boards boot w/o a hard drive working? I know the old AT ones could boot w/o a hard drive. I followed the online manual for the connections leading from the IDE hard drive onto the board, so I know they are correct. Any more ideas? I am about two seconds away from saying screw it and buying a Soyo board tomorrow at CompUSA...what does everyone think? If I do go the route of getting a new board, I can get a Tyan model for $159 or a Soyo for $139...do those prices sound about right and fair? Thanks for reading this long post, but I really am worried about my baby.