Atlas 10K II - 2 variations?? Atlas 10K III out yet?

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
plucky duck

Post by plucky duck »

I've seen it at Onvia Canada. They list the 18gigger as having NO cache. While the 9.2gigger, which is what I have right now, has onboard 8mb cache.

What's up with that? The 18gigger is supposed to be a SCA 80-pin cache-less drive? WTH, I'm confused...

And oh yeah, think I just read somewhere the Atlas 10K III will have average read speeds of 58000 kps? Is it even out yet?

Another question, in Win2k it gives you the option to set up software RAID, correct? Well, at least I know that it does offer it in Win2k Server edition. Where exactly can I find this function? Has anybody actually tried doing a software SCSI Raid? Any major performance jumps? I've got 2 procs, so processing power shouldn't be a problem...I think.

Thanks,
Plucky
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Never heard about a cache-less HDD ... but I know 80pin SCA drives, they're for a servers and they're hot-swappable since data and power is in one connector. You would need an adapter to use them ... I have one SCA drive but won't get another one.

Get one with cache ...

And about the 10K III, they'll announce drives up to 6 months before they hit the market, I wouldn't expect it before february or march next year.