Digital Audio

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FuNPoLiCe001

Post by FuNPoLiCe001 »

K, i got myself an SB Live! Value Version 2 with Digital Out

and I got myself a set of Altec Lansing ACS 56's.

My understanding was that there should be no static noise with the digital connection, yet there seems to be.

I have everything plugged in, but the digital out plug for the SB Live! Value seems loose, kinda like it wasn't meant to be used for that kind of adapter.

Ne ideas on why there's static noise, or is that supposed to be there?
Let Cam, take care of your breasts
Reg Kmet
Golden Member

Post by Reg Kmet »

those are powered speakers, perhaps the noise is coming from the amp?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

First turn off all the individual channels in the Windows mixer (line in, aux in, CD in, etc) to see if you can isolate the noise. You could have a bad shield in your analog CD audio cable, or just a cheap noisy CD player.

90% of the time the CD is the source of unwanted noise (you have that poorly shielded audio wire just snaking around near the mobo - it acts like an antenna).

If your CD had digital out, lose the analog cable.

The digital out jack on the SBLive feels loose because it's not mounted to the aluminum bracket - they have to do that because it's no supposed to be grounded, but it makes for a loose, and easily damaged jack. Make sure the cable isn't putting too much strain on the jack - use a cable tie as a strain relief if needed.

Hope this helps...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FuNPoLiCe001

Post by FuNPoLiCe001 »

I c...

I was thinking that it fit loosely because it wasnt the right type of plug.

I was thinking that I would need to buy a RCA to SPDIF connector to hook it up properly

But I'll try ur suggestions first to see if it helps :D
Let Cam, take care of your breasts