MS Intellimouse Explorer and Win2k

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Solstice
Golden Member

Post by Solstice »

I'm using a MS Intellimouse Explorer in Win2k and it recently started having serious problems. It periodically stops tracking for about 1 second. Moving the mouse results in no on-screen movement. Sometimes the red light at the base goes dim for about 10 seconds. I tried re-installing the drivers. The problem vanished for about 1 week and then returned. Anyone else with this combo have problems?
tyler_durden

Post by tyler_durden »

i had that same problem, except that the mouse would die out in linux too. it turns out that there was a short in the cord. if you wiggled it right by the base of the mouse it would go on and off. i just called microsoft up and b/c the have a lifetime warrany they just send you out another.
all you have to do is give them the serial number off the buttom.

dan
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ditto. Whenever the light goes out it's no getting power. Almost certainly a broken wire in the cable. Wiggle the cable where it enters the mouse and you'll probably see the light come one and off.

If you're using a clip to hold the wire in place onto your mouse pad, this only makes it worse. I used to love those clips until I realized that they force the cable to bend at the same spot over and over until it breaks (like bending a spoon).
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Solstice
Golden Member

Post by Solstice »

Thanks gents. Looks like I'll be calling MS (oh joy). They are good about replacing stuff. I was once given a Force Feedback joystick from work but the stick was shattered. I called MS, said I had a broken joystick, and they sent me a new one.