My first mod... a completely custom case.

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

Originally posted by 123cool
Ermm one question where is the cd-rom and floppy drive?

what in the hell do you need a floppy drive for? :p
and cd rom....thats overrated. Just run cds and stuff from another system on the network
Gone for good. But never say never
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Originally posted by Absolut Talent
what in the hell do you need a floppy drive for? :p
and cd rom....thats overrated. Just run cds and stuff from another system on the network
yep, was thinking the same thing!
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Ermm one question where is the cd-rom and floppy drive? Other than that looks great. love to have my own case like that.

one word:

daemontools. ;) :D
123cool
Golden Member

Post by 123cool »

what in hell do you need a floppy drive for? and cd rom....thats overrated. Just run cds and stuff from another system on the network

Well ok floppy drive yeah you dont need that really. But the cd rom is really usefull for, copying cds, playing music, playing games, installing the OS, installing drivers. definatly the most important for playing and installing games, even if there are cracks and downloads out there.

oh yeah and running stuff from another system is just slow.
Skater4life420
Genuine Member

Post by Skater4life420 »

i agree with the last statment a cd is most effective... running off of lans is someewhat a pain in the ass sometimes and u gotta take the extra time to config everything and then thiers always holes so u gotta get a good firewall setup when ya just could leave it secure and not worrie bout it and just pop a cd in after u burnt it from tha other pc is ya trying to move more than a cd's worth of info ..ie mp3s and ish...thats just my opion im a lazy ass what can i say

also i like that case u modded it looks tight now that the fan grill is on it
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Well ok floppy drive yeah you dont need that really. But the cd rom is really usefull for, copying cds, playing music, playing games, installing the OS, installing drivers. definatly the most important for playing and installing games, even if there are cracks and downloads out there.

oh yeah and running stuff from another system is just slow.
Daemontools allows me to run CD's without a CD-ROM drive. but that really dont matter.. when i get the system fullly configured, it's gonna have a USB CD-ROM. remember, it's only sitting in my room currently cause i havent set up my car to take it yet. and cause it needs more cooling.. luckily, i'm settiu up getting 2 fans for me. :)
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I think i'm just gonna give up on the completely custom case :(

it looks like shit. i think i'm just gonna say :p :p :p :p it and buy an Antec Aria.

If they had sold those when i started this project, i would have bought it originally. matx board, accepts full height cards, portable,... i just want out of this. I'm done.
The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

Hmm. I just now saw this. Not too bad a job for your first mod, so really, don't be too hard on yourself.

If you still have this case, could you do me a favor and try something? Turn the case upside down and then check the temps. The old axiom is that hot air rises, so one would think pulling in ait from the bottom and then rising and going out the psu, would make it a little cooler, but I want to see how a real world test on this theory does.

I would suggest you trying this again. You really didn't do a bad job at all. Take what you did and learn from it. You might be surprised with where this might go. After all, Apple started in their garage, Gateway started in a barn, and HP's success story was something similar. I know you not doing this as a business, but maybe a hobby might be a good idea.
Run fer your lives!!! The_Frapster's Coming!!!

<a title="Click here to view my Heatware Profile" href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=28300">
[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
<a title="Click here to view My E-bay Profile" href="http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=the_frapster&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS">
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Well, for now, i'm gonna stick to mediums i know. wood. And also for now, i'm just gonna do normal cases.

maybe in a year or more when i remake my desktop (with dual opterons) i'll build a full indesk PC, with CD trays coming out of the top of the desk and all. but till that point, i just want something that'll work and work well. I also need it to be able to take full height PCI cards. And this one wont. i have a flex pci extender, but if i can do it the aria way, for now, that's the best option.

Besides, it'll allow me to turn it into a Lan PC as well as a Car-PC. :)
The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

And were you able to try the heat test?

<a title="Click here to view my Heatware Profile" href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=28300">
[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
<a title="Click here to view My E-bay Profile" href="http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=the_frapster&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS">
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Originally posted by The_Frapster
And were you able to try the heat test?

As i figured it would be, it's pretty much the same temp.

hot air does indeed rise, but it rises slowly.

Forced air overrides convection. Convection will have little to no effect on the power of the forced air, or it's movement within the case.
The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

Hmm, well then some suggestions for the next case.

Put a vent to the outside of the case for the cpu, that way the only air it will be pulling is going to be fresh and cooler then what's inside the case. Also put a filter on it that can be easily changed. This will cut down on debris in the case as well as having to clean the HS off from all the dust it's collecting. Put a filter on the intake fan as well.

Once you find a suitible case, strip it, and go to a local body shop, or if you know a friend, and get it painted there. One of the best paint mods I've seen to date was of a guy who had access to a auto repair shop and used the paint that gets baked on, just like a car's finish. When their finished with it, you can apply a couple coats of wax to it and that should hold for most small scratches. At the very least, you'll be the only one waxig their case on Sundays ;D

There were some other ideas floating around, but I forget what they were now.

Oh, and as far as wood, it's a really great medium to work with as far as detailing a case. Especially if you use a nice one and do a great job with the finish. Personally I would prefer a varnish and laquer if it's going to be wood, but that's just me.

just my humble opinion.

[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I'm talking about pretty much doing the whole case out of wood.

I'm an ametuer carpenter... i'll be building an Entertainment center for my father soon..

I havent had access to a shop in awhile, but this is what i built last. i know what i did wrong there, so it just gets better and better every time i try my hand at woodworking

And now i'm getting my own shop! :D So i'll finally not have to be scared of classmates destroying my stuff :)
The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

Ok, I am confused, what did you do wrong? BTW, that tabel really looks banging. I always liked woodworking, but I only have enough money for one hobby. Living.......

[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

in the second picture, you see 3 stripes down the length of wood bordering the chessboard on the left.

Those, i did because i screwed up in the finishing. i can take em out with sanding, but i screwed up a little more.

when i was butt-jointing the chess board together, one piece snapped off. So, one of the corner pieces of the chess table is pointed 90 degrees from where it should be.

the whole top of the chess table was made with standard 3/4 inch wood, wheras it should have been made with 1 - 1 1/4 inch wood.

And the way i made the top, it's slightly off center. I didnt have a good way of doing it.. i figured it out now, but i didnt know then.

All the problems i have with it i could fix just by re-doing the top.. but i built it to be solid. all the furniture i build i build to be sturdy. i could pile probably close to a thousand pounds on my desk extension.. easily 500+ on my chess table.