well had this chip a couple years now its getting slow

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
CaterpillarAssassin
Almighty Member

well had this chip a couple years now its getting slow

Post by CaterpillarAssassin »

XP2000+ AGOIA stepping. Dont know what core. Now that some new games are out i notice it lagging behind a little bit. Wondering what I can do for overclocking, I've been out of it for a while. I'm running a shuttle ak32. Using the stock cooler right now. I know there was mention about bridging some leads to unlock it. Well, LMK. Thanks.
Bigal

If that's the Thoroughbred "A" core...

Post by Bigal »

...then forget it. If it's the Thoroughbred "B" core, with the extra layer to prevent stray capacitance, then you might have a chance. I have an XP 2000+ Thoroughbred "A" core, and it wouldn't overclock very much. My XP2100+ overclocks easily though. With that old VIA KT266A motherboard, you will have to unlock the multiplier manually, but I'm not sure it will buy you anything. It looks like you can set the multiplier in the bios, but without unlocking the CPU, I don't think that works. Here's a bit from some old review:

In the past, we've been used to receiving Shuttle boards that were a little less refined in the Overclocking department. The AK32 came as a bit of a shock. Not only does it sport a feature-rich BIOS, but it stands as one of few boards currently available that doesn't require users to set jumpers in order to configure the CPU - and that includes the FSB frequency.

In other words, the Shuttle AK32 is a truly Jumperless board. Only two jumpers are even included, and they're respectively used to reset the BIOS, and/or write-protect it.

In short, anything alterations that need be, or can be done are carried out from within the BIOS.

Adjustments related to the CPU can be performed from within the "Frequency/Voltage Control" menu.

Once there, users can set the FSB to a frequency ranging from 100MHz to 166MHz in 1MHz steps.

The clock multiplier can also be set to between 5X and 13X.

Next on the list, we have the ability to adjust the Vcore voltage. Unfortunately, the Vio voltage cannot be altered.

As one might expect, a wide range of memory timing options can also be tweaked from within the "Advanced Chipset Features" menu. Among the options presented we can note the ability to set the independent memory bus frequency to 100MHz, 133MHz, or to SPD (Serial Presence Detect), which will set the frequency automatically.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really want to speed things up, get a cheap nforce2 ultra 400 motherboard (they can be had for under $60 at newegg), and an Athlon XP 2500+ (desktop version is cheaper, and these can be had for around $70 if you search the web). With a good copper heatsink from Thermalright, you can get an XP3200+ rating if your ram is able to go up to 200MHz. That is 2.2GHz from your CPU, and these 2500's run nice and cool at that setting. Of course, there are other ways to increase performance.... :D
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.