How to cut this out?

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
TruckStuff
Golden Member

How to cut this out?

Post by TruckStuff »

My next PC project is going to be to silence (or at least quiet) my rig. One of the things I'm going to do is cut the fan gratings out of the back of my case and just put a fan guard over the fans on the back side. Trouble is I don't know what tool would be best to use. The holes are pretty small (the chep tin snips I have won't fit). Dremel? Jig saw? See the holes below the blue fan in the image below:

dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

I would use a jig saw. You might have to use a drill to enlarge the holes enough to get the jug saw blade in there. Then use a dremel to smooth out any rough edges. You could also do the whole job with a dremel tool though.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I just used a dremel to cut them out of mine.
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
TruckStuff
Golden Member

Post by TruckStuff »

Originally posted by dadx2mj
I would use a jig saw. You might have to use a drill to enlarge the holes enough to get the jug saw blade in there. Then use a dremel to smooth out any rough edges. You could also do the whole job with a dremel tool though.
Good idea.... I'd have to borrow a dremel from my dad which is a nuisance. Will figure it out. THX
renovation

Post by renovation »

i use my 3 in bi metal hole saw - and mandrel -but you talking like $25 -$30 bucks just to cut one or two holes and also need a good (powerful ) drill.
nice being a CONTACTOR I STOCK THE STUFF .
ps. im talking contactor grade tool here
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Bigal

My suggestion...

Post by Bigal »

I've cut plenty of those fan holes out, and each one was performed with a pair of aviation snips (or metal shears). I use these shears to but lots of metal pieces - windows in the case sides, interior metal braces, etc. I bought a few new ones several months ago at Home Depot for $15 each. You'll need a set of three - one for cutting left, one for cutting right, and one for straight cuts. Here's a link:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... Home_Depot

Image :p
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Originally posted by eGoCeNTRoNiX
I just used a dremel to cut them out of mine.
gotta love the Dremel!
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"