Anyone ever paint their monitor?

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Anyone ever paint their monitor?

Post by tunis5000 »

Seems everything is black and silver lately, but my old 19" Viewsonic CRT (which is still great btw, won't get an LCD til it dies on me) is that "cream" color, and I was wondering how safe/easy it was to paint it black? Anyone ever do that?
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Re: Anyone ever paint their monitor?

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by tunis5000
Seems everything is black and silver lately, but my old 19" Viewsonic CRT (which is still great btw, won't get an LCD til it dies on me) is that "cream" color, and I was wondering how safe/easy it was to paint it black? Anyone ever do that?

My mom sponged my g/f's monitor purple.. (I built her a purple computer.) and no problems.. They say to use Vinyl Dye for monitors though.. Try a google for it and see what you come up with.

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

tonto on PCA painted his daughter's LCD pink . It looked good , at least as good as a pink LCD monitor can ;)

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Cant be that hard... i put LEDs in my old monitor.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Bigal

Be sure to...

Post by Bigal »

...cover the vent holes from the inside, and carefully mask off the screen. It's hard to remove overspray once it's on there. And what dangers are there to adding some cold cathode tubes inside the CRT case? I'm thinking about doing that to my latest project with dual 21" CRTs:

:D
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.
renovation

Post by renovation »

my daughter sprayed painted her monitor - (my old nokia and didnt ask me ) with purple paint and gliitter didnt hurt it - (except for resale had to about give it away ) also i might add she added decals to the case ! thats what happens when you send the child to collage . :(
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

my old monitr i was able to take all the outer casing off in 3 chunks.. they you can pait it any way you want and then put it back on.

Working inside the monitor can be deadly if you dont know what to stay away from.... also you have to find a 12V source or do what i did and add one (or do it all cheesy and have a cable comming from your computer supplying the 12V) then just put it in there. what you need to be aware of is that eveen tho its off and unplugged it can still kill you... keep away from the tube and stuff going to the tube at all cost... leave it off and unplugged for like a week to discharge it. Then just keep stuff away form the hight voltage (the suction cup looking thing) and you should be set.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

I did it with some auto primer and some auto paint I bought from Wal-mart. painted one Blue like an Antec Case I painted.
Came out really nice.
Just be careful you get in there you might develop a slight speach problem.
FanTum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

I was thinkin about paintin' my monitor also! Would like it to match my desk!
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"
IGBT
Genuine Member

Post by IGBT »

sounds crazy to me..but if your going to do it find a paint that won't damage plastic..otherwise the fuggen thing might melt.. and distort the plastic..what ever you use it's going to fume for awhile too..might stink the place up..good luck.................. :jester
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

thats what happens when you send the child to collage .

YA, they eat the books!

That suction cup thingy is the deadly thingy!! Also the transformer it connects to, they can hold a charge for ALONG time. I have shot a spark after a week, but other times they been dead after a day or two!

What we normally did is make a jumper wire with an aligator clip on each end, connect one to ground and the other to a flat blade screwdriver (closer to the tip than the handle but shouldn't really matter). Slide the screwdriver under the rubber suction cup looking thingy as it has been reffered to, Nice POP and see a pretty good sized arc. Then still be careful of anything else as you work anyway just so you don't cut yourself or break anything. SLIDE the screwdriver UNDER the rubber cup, DO NOT try to lift it up with your fingers to put the driver under it. I saw someone fly once doing something that dumb, lucky for him it had been unplugged a couple days already. When I say he was dumb, I mean he knew why he was using a screw driver and ground wire and had done this at least twice, then did that!

Think I am kinding about doing that? It was really alot of fun to do in the rain and really wet working on video games in a portable arcade for many years!! Don't know why it made me so nervous, in all the years I never got shocked once doing that, but I was knocked on my butt a few times touching other things. A generator got me once, and at least twice on an office trailer.
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>
Augix

Re: Be sure to...

Post by Augix »

Originally posted by Bigal
...cover the vent holes from the inside, and carefully mask off the screen. It's hard to remove overspray once it's on there. And what dangers are there to adding some cold cathode tubes inside the CRT case? I'm thinking about doing that to my latest project with dual 21" CRTs:

:D

Hi al ! long time no see... hope everything is going ok . please post some pics of your projects I always enjoy them... I remember whenyou did the printercase pc lol :)

Augi
Heatware
Bigal

Hey Augi....

Post by Bigal »

.....I've been going to the computer shows, but I haven't seen you there. My friend, you have missed so much in the printer-to-computer lifecycle. The original machine was blessed with a Sony G520 21" CRT to go with it's Geforce 6800 GT, and my new project now has two of those monitors (yeah, now I have three of them), because it has two complete AMD systems inside it's HP printer case. Printers rule at my house, at least when it comes to gaming. Anyway, you haven't heard the last from the original machine...good things are yet to come. :D

<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

That transformer didnt get the name "flyback" for nothing!

Hey al.. if you even need any printers let me know... i can normaly get them for ya.. various makes and models.