Cutting out a "window" with "sharp" corners.

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
hxckid88
Goober Member

Cutting out a "window" with "sharp" corners.

Post by hxckid88 »

I'm modding my own case, just as a fun project. One of the many things I want to do is cut out an X on the side of my case. To give it a clean look, and to prevent anyone from getting cut, I need to put a molding on it. Everything was fine until I realized moldings don't work well on corners. What I wanted to do was get the moldings at crazypc.com, like the "H" molds, so that instead of putting a window into the molding, I could fit the "El wire" neon wire into that.

If someone could maybe suggest or throw me some tips? The problem is that I need a solid molding to go around the big X without it looking retarded. And then I need a way to fit the El Wire around it. I have none of these materials right now, so I can't judge how it's going to fit, besides the fact that the molding is 1/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. Thanks =D
Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

you cant just miter the corners of the molding?
So instead of it being one piece and bending at the corners, you would have about 12 (figure 12 lines to make an X) pieces of trim and just angle cut the exposed corners for a nice look
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Originally posted by Absolut Talent
you cant just miter the corners of the molding?
So instead of it being one piece and bending at the corners, you would have about 12 (figure 12 lines to make an X) pieces of trim and just angle cut the exposed corners for a nice look

Thats what i was gonna say.. do that.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
hxckid88
Goober Member

Post by hxckid88 »

That's excactly what I was thinking as an alternative, but I am also going to ad the El Wire to make the X glow. So I'm hoping the El Wire would also fit nicely since it is one long piece.
Bigal

Use translucent molding...

Post by Bigal »

If you go with translucent H molding, the EL wire will glow nicely. I did this with my Unreal case back in 2003. I recommend a dual-wire inverter, and of course, two EL wires (about 6 ft. each). If you get more inverters and wires, you can put different colors together under the edge of the molding. :D
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.