HDD mod safe?

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
Karchiveur
Golden Member

HDD mod safe?

Post by Karchiveur »

Here

Now does it not have to be a dust free room? I mean somebody just ccan't pop thier hdd open and screw this in... would the drive not fail after awhile?
First person ever Banned from 3dmaxx.com
Badmojo

Post by Badmojo »

Yea its a risk but people still do it, Thats why more people window thier optical drive than HDD's

You could do in inside a big new plastic bag to keep down the particulates if you were realy anal about it. Any dust on the platers would be like a big scratch on a CD
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas ]Sealab2021[

Do you have any proof that you saved the universe?... Were all still here arent we!

Random Fact:
Mac's were made by pirates they only needed one button on the mouse to use with thier hooks.
ImageImageImage
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I think that just goes on top of the drive... you dont open it up and replace the cover wiht it. It just slips over an existing drive to make it look less bland.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Badmojo

Post by Badmojo »

Originally posted by Pugsley
I think that just goes on top of the drive... you dont open it up and replace the cover wiht it. It just slips over an existing drive to make it look less bland.

I see what you mean, the listing says -This is a hard drive "cover" for clear cases. Seems very pointless put that way
If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas ]Sealab2021[

Do you have any proof that you saved the universe?... Were all still here arent we!

Random Fact:
Mac's were made by pirates they only needed one button on the mouse to use with thier hooks.
ImageImageImage
Bigal

The beauty of laser-etch....

Post by Bigal »

...is that you can attach LEDs or cold cathode tubes to the edge and get some very cool lighting effects. I would not recommend opening up the hard drive to fabricate a window. You will almost certainly cause an early failure of the drive, and that will occur when you most need it (gaming in Counter Strike perhaps?).

Check out this lighting effect, using LED fans in the rear, and a cold cathode tube in the front. The transistion of green to red worked out nicely:

::
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.