Yes, kill me ... lights in fan dilemma

Make windows, cool designs, heck just plain abuse that baby! Share case modding tips and ideas
cobosdan

Yes, kill me ... lights in fan dilemma

Post by cobosdan »

Hi, Shameful Noobie here :

Bougth an Athlon 64 +3800, nvidia 7600 GT rig.

The case has this great window on the left (preferred an all metal case but had to buy it because of the power source I wanted).

The window has this huge fan and when I power on the rig, 4 BRIGHT blue lights on the corners of the fan light up the total darkness in which I love to play.

I don't want to lose time returning the PC for a new case.

Can I detach the lights (they connect with this two tiny copper wires) without burning the fan or blowing up the building ?

Or should I bolt to the case the cardboard box of the motherboard that I'm currently using to hide the lights and be done with it ? =)

Thanks in advance for your valuable hints !
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Or, you could just remove the fan and replace it with a clear or black one without lights :)

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
cobosdan

Post by cobosdan »

Law of least effort please ! =)

Anyway, dark tape was suggested elsewhere ... very ugly but so quick ... hmmm ... I'll have a rugged PC ... tape it is !

But yours is the rational solution eGoCeNTRoNiX, thanks !
Bigal

Post by Bigal »

Seems silly to tape it up. I wonder if you would kill the fan power by cutting one of the LED leads? Are they wired in series with the fan motor? We'll never know until somebody tries it. Anyway, I also recommend you just replace the fan. You can probably find a quieter one on-line, and then you have a spare on hand.
<color=red>Home web site: http://www.bigal-computers.net</color>

<color=blue>Like motorcycles? Check out the WORMS here: http://www.bigal-computers.net/worms.php</color>

Lots of hand-built and modded AMD systems.
joeyll
Genuine Member

Post by joeyll »

If you dont want the fan at all why not just take it out? Or just simply unplug it from the motherboard? OR buy a fan with no lights? I'm SURE you know how to install a fan right?

Joey
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

cobosdan wrote:Law of least effort please ! =)

Anyway, dark tape was suggested elsewhere ... very ugly but so quick ... hmmm ... I'll have a rugged PC ... tape it is !

But yours is the rational solution eGoCeNTRoNiX, thanks !
trust me, following the law of least effort will mean replacing the fans. any other method makes for more effort.