PLANTRONICS GameCom 367 Closed-Ear gaming headset

Catch the latest Reviews from PCA
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

PLANTRONICS GameCom 367 Closed-Ear gaming headset

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My last headset died so I went on a hunt for a new one. I require closed-ear headphones to block out noise and it's amazing how few headsets come this way anymore.

I also needed a headset with BIG muffs. I have big ears and I wear glasses. I can't have anything crushing my ears.

These is a BIG headset. They completely enclose my ear. They're very comfortable with a nice thick pad on top and thick ear muff pads. They block out a lot of room noise (as you can see from the photo, in the summer I sometimes have a small supplemental wall unit AC running because the computer room gets warm with the door closed).

Sound quality is better than my old Atlec Lansing headset and I though that one was pretty good. Nicer bass and (according to my friends on Ventrilo) the microphone sounds much better. A nice feature is that the microphone completely retracts into the headset and out of the way if you're not using it.

This is a standard headset (plugs into your sound card - it's not a USB headset).

The cable is a little shorter than normal, not that it bothers me. The cable is a bit thicker than normal which is good - looks like it's less likely to break. The headset is very solid construction.

This headset goes for $40 at the local Best Buy but NewEgg has them on sale for $27 w/free shipping until 1/31. I think I'll buy another pair as a backup for my LAN rig:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... osed%20ear

Here's a photo of yours truly wearing the headset so you can see how big it is:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm still using my Plantronics USB and they work great.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I have a plantronic like yours with the mic that swivels out of the way that must be at least 6 years old. Bought it when I was playing DAOC. They make solid stuff.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have the exact set. They are great. I too bought it for the same reasons. I hate on ear head sets.

if you turn the volume all the way down can you still hear stuff?
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They were out of stock for a while and then came back for the same price ($26.99) so I bought another one as a spare.

Price is now back up to $39.99

Still a great headset even for that price.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I've been looking at these : http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-hs-120 ... 43948.html

But wondering if they're really going to work as well as my DSP-550s..... Because I'd LOVE to lose the cord..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!