Van Helsing (Anime)

Talk about the latest and best Anime
prodiGyBNTY
Genuine Member

Van Helsing (Anime)

Post by prodiGyBNTY »

Just picked up a copy of the Anime "Van Helsing"...its supposed to be the prequel to the movie released last week...i'll put up a review after i see it tonight...
Oh, to have a cool sig....it’s my ambition...my goal....and yet, my inept creativity prevents the existence of such.
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

You're probably talking about the anime "Hellsing" (without the Van), which is pretty cool but lacks somewhat at the very end ... still very cool anime. It is not related to the current "Van Hellsing" movie AFAIK.
prodiGyBNTY
Genuine Member

Post by prodiGyBNTY »

No, I am in fact speaking of "Van Helsing". It just came out and its the anime prequel to Van Helsing the movie...it ends where the movie picks up...and its voiced by Hugh Jackman...again...i'll post a review later tonight or tomorrow morning

its sort of like what the Animatrix was to the Matrix movies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406310/ for info
Oh, to have a cool sig....it’s my ambition...my goal....and yet, my inept creativity prevents the existence of such.
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Q: What is Anime?
A: Anime is an American name for the style of art and animation developed by the Japanese. The word "Anime" is just the Japanese word for animation (of any kind), and it is pronounced "Annie-May" (both like the English names). Other commonly used words for Japanese animation are Japanimation, Japanime, and Manga (which is the Japanese word for comic books and animation in general).

The one you're going to watch isn't an anime, it's "only" an american animation (the animated prequel). I might sound nitpicking here but that's how it is. Don't hesitate to review it and feel free to compare it to some anime you've seen ;)
prodiGyBNTY
Genuine Member

Post by prodiGyBNTY »

Ok, maybe I'm being nitpicky, but as you said "The word "Anime" is just the Japanese word for animation (of any kind)"

Noting the "any kind" ;)

anyways..."Van Helsing The London Assignment" is a 30 minute animation prequel to the newly released Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman. The animation is very similar to that of Trigun, for those who have seen it, with some CG added in the mix at appropriate times to add a more detailed look where normal animation would look very blurry or undefined.

The storyline takes place from the point where Van Helsing is assigned to chase after a killer who is stalking women and murdering them on the streets of London. Soon discovered its none other than Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde. The ensuing chase to capture this beast is shown in fair detail with plenty of action and use of cool gadgets. This short movie ends almost precisely where the Live Action Movie picks up, to further add to the experience that the Van Helsing story gives.

All in all, I would rate the animation a 4/5 and the storyline a 4/5 as well. However, for the $10 paid for this animation short, I somewhat expected a little more for my money. A 30 minute supplement should not cost almost as much as a new released movie. But seeing as I liked the movie and plan on purchasing it to add to my DVD collection, this is a good buy to sit next to it on the shelf.

Additional Features on the DVD included a short talking about the making of both the animation and the live action movie and an interview with Hugh Jackman. Also shown is a preview of the forthcoming "Riddick" movie, sequel to "Pitch Black" and it's counterpart animation that looks to promise exactly what this DVD has provided for "Van Helsing".
ShibasScotch

Post by ShibasScotch »

Originally posted by DocSilly
You're probably talking about the anime "Hellsing" (without the Van), which is pretty cool but lacks somewhat at the very end ... still very cool anime. It is not related to the current "Van Hellsing" movie AFAIK.

only reason that it "lacks" come things at the end, is because it isnt the end :P
There is supposed to be a second part, with another 13 episodes... however, the creator/writer wanted to finish the manga first... well the manga has gone way over 26, so who knows what will happen, it is what... 3 or 4 or so years since hellsing has been released?
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other, then themselves.