I got an email from StarLink saying the beta now extends to my area

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

I got an email from StarLink saying the beta now extends to my area

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm. Tempting, just to see what it's like. They want a refundable $99 deposit, but that just gets you on a limited beta waiting list.

$99 a month, $500 for the equipment, $50 shipping.

If that seems like a lot, HughesNet satellite Internet, which a lot a people in rural areas like mine use for Intenet, is $100 a month for a 30GB/month data plan, and it's awful. Better than dialup, worse than DSL, and crazy high latency.

You can enter your address here and see it's available in your area: https://www.starlink.com/
Starlink is now available for order to a limited number of users in your coverage area. Placing your order now will hold your place in line for future service. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically.

The Starlink team will provide periodic updates on availability as we launch more satellites and expand our coverage area. Depending on your location, some orders may take 6 months or more to fulfill.

To check availability for your location, visit Starlink.com and re-enter your service address. Thank you for your interest in Starlink and your continued support!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Re: I got an email from StarLink saying the beta now extends to my area

Post by psypher »

That's tempting as well for me. I've been looking into having a backup connection at home for the whole house. Currently my backup is turning on the wifi on my desktop and tethering to my Verizon phone. It works, but it's just for my desktop. Verizon has a 5G home option that's like $50 a month. While it's available in Atlanta, it's not available our in the suburbs where I live.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's my backup as well. I considered getting CenturyLink DSL as a backup, but Verizon is pretty reliable here, and the bandwidth is excellent. I've actually gamed on Verizon on the few occasions when Comcast has gone down. Very low latency, and good speeds. I just need to put the phone on the Window sill to get better speeds.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

i have a good friend who moved to Georgia a couple months back . and he trying to get on the starlink system . he having a really hard time getting a internet provider in his area . right now he piggy back off his phones WIFI . there is a service avail but the problem is the company has no equipment avail . when a unit is avail .it give to a client that's already a client and there equipment broke . the company has new equipment coming but they have no idea when it may show up or how many units will arrive .it all coming in from china is what he been told. he on a short country road and cable and internet company's don't want to spend the money to run the needed wires . so he screwed right now they didn't think to ask about service when buying the house. anyway i posted this on his fb page thought you all my enjoy a laugh .
see below.

:) Michael Greenberg
I think they found the real Green Acre's it's not called Hooterville any more that's not proper for the 21 st century - it was renames 2 years ago to make Atlanta folk happy . Jim told me the local hardware had a large display of Mason jars and 1/4 inch copper line and large galvanized funnels on display in the front window . with a sign saying February's specials . there were even stacks of wood wash boards. and Blue Jean coveralls with straps . corn husk pipes . none of this made him think thing were a bit odd . can't forget him say the train station said Petticoat Junction . Jim did drive though Mayberry to get there ? wouldn't all this make one think were am I . 🙂
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My Chiropractor has the same issue. He built a new home and checked with Comcast first, but now they say no service. He's using HughesNet right now but it's awful. Told him to sign up for StarLink and see what happens, and in the meantime told him to get a hotspot from his cell phone company.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

"Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship."

South FL
------------------------------------------