surge protector for cable lines.

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

surge protector for cable lines.

Post by reno »

:bang in my community we had a lot of tvs taken out lately by lightning.. my thinking it's coming though the spectrum cable line. is there any reasonable price or available surge arrestor anyone aware of. it's odd it's knocking out tvs & cable box but nothing else . you think Spectrum about to omit the surge is coming though there equipment . im talking like wiping out both tvs not just a single set in some homes . like said im in a 55 and over condo community and some are on a fix income without a lot of extra cash flow. we have some on fix income . some who just are tight asses who have a ton. but like you to think there just squeezing by. these are the hardest to deal with.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: surge protector for cable lines.

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is the only one I've ever heard of:

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-FSCATV-F ... B013WINKTO

Comcast does not recommend any cable surge protector, as it can block digital signals. That said, reviews say people with Spectrum and Comcast are using it without a problem.

There should already be a MOCA filter at the incoming line to the building, which is usually grounded. It's not a surge protector, but it does ground the shield on the incoming line. Looks like this:

HOWEVER, be aware NOTHING is going to stop a big enough surge, or a direct strike.
- "I don’t need a ride, I need more ammunition" - Volodymyr Zelenskyy

reno

Post by reno »

Thanks FP -was hoping you charm in on this post . at $55.00 each if anyone buy it here that be me . this place is snowbird haven and people treat this like there cottage getaway . think that's enough said as to them buy into have me install one of them on there units at $55.00 plus tax each .
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Usually they should have one out at their box outside, just make sure the ground wire is actually connect to the house ground and not your water spigot. I have a whole house surge protector as well. Does any of it actually work? No idea, haven't been struck any where close as of now.
reno

Post by reno »

way more thunder storms here in florida then michigan . every afternoon for the pass month plus we are getting storms . todays storms starting up as we type this . !