Website Connection Issues

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Err
Life Member

Website Connection Issues

Post by Err »

I'm stumped.

On my main rig that's wired directly to my router, I'm having issues connecting to websites. I'll get the "we're having trouble connecting to..." error. I got it when I just tried coming here. When I refresh once or twice, it goes just fine. I replaced my Ethernet Cable and reset Windows Network (I think. I not sure this did anything). The wife and kid aren't complaining on their wireless connections. I also tried changing my DNS back to auto on the router and it didn't help. I think it's something on this end but I don't know where to look.

Thanks for any suggestions.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Website Connection Issues

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some ideas:

I assume you've rebooted?

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack: https://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=19483

Check to make sure you don't have a proxy configured. Something malicious, or a security app may have set one up and be causing problems: https://windows101tricks.com/disable-proxy-settings/

Is the DNS on your PC set to auto or do you have a manual one entered? If it's on auto try changing it manyally to Google's public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
If it's on manual try auto or a different DNS. Like the one above or OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222

Bad network interface on the PC. I've seen it happen. Do you have a spare PCI-E or USB NIC you can try?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks FP. You know what helps? Entering the correct IP for Open DNS. I checked my settings against what you posted above and I had 208.68.222.222 as my primary. My secondary was correct. I also reset the TCP/IP stack and checked the proxy just in case. When I was having intermittent issues earlier, I changed the DNS to auto. When I changed it back after it didn't help, I put in the wrong value.

However, I'm still having issues. Everything worked fine for a bit but I started getting the same errors as before. I don't have a spare network interface. I'll have to borrow one from work. This is very annoying.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I tried messing around on my Daughter's laptop and I'm seeing issues. I think it's the router. I'm now remembering that these issues started after a firmware update.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ya, possible. Maybe roll back the firmware? Or if it's a home quality router consider an enterprise class one. I like the Ubiquity routers, and I still have one as a spare backup, but I switched to a Netgate pfSense router a few years ago, and been very happy with it.

Check to see if you have a VPN, or QoS or any kind of DNS filtering enabled, and try killing that. Most home routers don't actually have enough processing power to handle that, despite it being an option. When the processor falls behind it just starts dropping packets.

Power cycle all your switches too. I've seen a switch's MAC translation table get corrupted by a power spike and cause all kinds of issues.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I made the mistake and bought a Netgear Router. I tried re-flashing the firmware and then completely reset the router to factory defaults. I'm still seeing issues. I hated the setup on this since the day I got it because it forces you to use their app. I wish I'd not put up with it. Live and learn.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Edited my post while you posted your last message. Some more ideas.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks for the help FP. I got annoyed with the Netgear and drove to Best Buy and bought an ASUS AX-5400. They had a Ubiquity but it was their mesh offering and that's not what I was looking for. So far so good (knock on wood).