This stuff gets complicated

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
wvjohn

This stuff gets complicated

Post by wvjohn »

my office upgraded from a 4.0 server to a 2000 server last week - workstations are a mix of 98 and xp machines - i got to play helper during the move since i take care of the workstations - ran into a nasty problem migrating the XP machines, under the old system, a router assigned the ip's - but also assigned the dns information from our ISP - somehow some of that info had gotten written into the registry of the XP machines, which would not stay on the network when rebooted - we also found a bunch of other things that were duct-taped together electronically which had to be redone - this network had been worked on by 3 different vendors at different times - ended up taking about 24 hours to get the switchover done - our other office, which had recently been redone after a total server crash, took 3 hours :)

we got nifty new servers - those dell 600s - 2.4 p4, 1 gig of ram - the inhouse databases run just a little bit faster than under the old p3 500/128 mb :)

I ended up ordering one of those dell servers to learn 2000 networking - p4 / 2.4 /533fsb 40 GB HD - etc. 327 shipped AR - gotta love quarterly profit statements - this stuff is so cheap now

some of that stuff can really give hou a headyache!
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Judg3
Golden Member

Post by Judg3 »

A good book to pickup about Windows 2000 networking is anything for MCSE test 70-221 (MCSE Windows 2000 Network Design)

I have the "Exam cram" book by Coriolis Press, written by Kim Simmons, Jarret W. Buse and Todd B. Halpin - for the most part it's very well written.

I prefer examcram books over the MS Press ones, seperates the wheat from the chaff and gives me what I need to know. Not a whole history of it!

Have fun too, a native win2000 AD domain is fun, despite what everyone else says heheh
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

Have fun too, a native win2000 AD domain is fun, despite what everyone else says heheh

please do not ever use the word "fun" in the same sentence as active directory ever again. :kookoo

;)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

please do not ever use the word "fun" in the same sentence as active directory ever again.
Ditto!
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
Ditto!

Gosh, same here.. :D
- Sean