Fiber Optic Connection ???

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Augix

Fiber Optic Connection ???

Post by Augix »

Please I would like to know something about this kind of connection , like speeds , cost , hardware . companies ,. etc. :D
Heatware
TheManiacal1

Post by TheManiacal1 »

speed = amazing (generally you're talking about gigabit connections)

costs = astronomical (in the tens of thousands at the very least)

hardware = depends on your provider; at your d-mark/mdf room, you'll have at least a drop for the fibre, a media converter, and some sort of routing equipment

providers = i'd only go with tier1 (sprintlink, att, etc.)
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, and the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn`t want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon... Need I say more?"

- Chris Rock

------

"War never solved anything... Except for slavery, Facism, Nazism, and creating the USA..."
ShibasScotch

Post by ShibasScotch »

hey hey now, i know that you can get an Oc-3 connection from ATT here for about 4000 / month :P
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other, then themselves.
Augix

Post by Augix »

Oc-3? how fast is that ? :cool :
Heatware
ShibasScotch

Post by ShibasScotch »

i think that is it 155mbits ? static
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other, then themselves.
Augix

Post by Augix »

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :eek:
Heatware
Judg3
Golden Member

Post by Judg3 »

Easiest way to remember what speed OCx is is to multiply it by 45 (OC1 = 1T3, OC2 = 2 T3's, etc)

Where I used to work, we had just setup our second OC48 - 2160MBits/Sec of bandwidth. Here's a pic of the termination unit

Both racks are for the OC48, the left is power, and the right is the redundant data jacks (96 BNC connections - 1 T3 (or an OC1 or DS3, actually) per connection.

Augix

Post by Augix »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Heatware
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

Judg3- i'd like just one of those...a drop straight to my home, please. ;)
TheManiacal1

Post by TheManiacal1 »

judg3 had it good...

the company i work for only has a few oc3 lines :p and i have a paltry t1 at my own office
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, and the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn`t want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon... Need I say more?"

- Chris Rock

------

"War never solved anything... Except for slavery, Facism, Nazism, and creating the USA..."
Gand1

Post by Gand1 »

Correct an OC-3 is 155 MB line. Most companies only purchase a portion of it though. At KU we have purchased 25 MB of our OC-3 and this costs us $15,000 a month and is discounted because we are a university. This is one of the reasons for a technology fee in their tuition.

Big bandwidth = Big bucks! :(
I'm...... BATMAN!

No Greyhound Racing