Where are all the bytes going?

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Corn

Where are all the bytes going?

Post by Corn »

I fired up my computer 40 minutes ago and right after I logged on I was called away by the wife to do man stuff around the house. Upon arriving back at my computer I happened to notice alot of network activity. I was somewhat stymied by the fact that when I tried to check the status of the internet connection in the network connections properties, it would load then immediately disappear. Strange.

Checking the network bridge status reveals that I've sent over 2MB of data over the network in the 40 minutes my computer was sitting idle. I find this to be somewhat shocking. Any way to tell what's being sent and where it's going? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm running windows xp professional and have installed the most recent version of zone alarm. I'm sitting behind a dlink 614+ wireless router (connected to a lan port, not wireless on this machine).

Thanks y'all.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

was windows messenger on? Email program? AIM/Trillian? f@h?
Corn

Post by Corn »

Negative, nothing running at all......
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

I'm sitting behind a dlink 614+ wireless router

is the wireless portion enabled? if so...do you have encryption set up? other people can jump on and grab an IP and surf if you don't have it encrypted...not that they will get into your pc (most likely not), but that could explain traffic.

Corn

Post by Corn »

Encryption is enabled, logs state no wireless connections other than my wife's computer and my Ipaq.
renovation

Post by renovation »

ha tom
your on comcast right ~
comcast has your signal relayed back and forth to them all the time !
it lets them know if there lines are down ~
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
xsiled
Golden Member

Post by xsiled »

caption: im alive and im stealing your bandwidth HAHAHAH!
VICTORY 2004
TheManiacal1

Post by TheManiacal1 »

drop a packet sniffer on your box and monitor your traffic for awhile to get a better sense of what's going on.
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, and the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn`t want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon... Need I say more?"

- Chris Rock

------

"War never solved anything... Except for slavery, Facism, Nazism, and creating the USA..."