Networking and dial up question

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
two slow

Networking and dial up question

Post by two slow »

I've got the network setup and internet sharing is fine but I can't find how to disconnect the internet connection. I want to be able to connect and disconnect from any computer.
I'm using this router and a aceex model DM-56V14/2. I can't much for it on the net.
Is there any way to do this?
<marquee><span style="width: 100%; Filter: Glow(Color=#3333FF, Strength=2)">I was here</span></marquee>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yes you could do it, and I assume this is not something you'll be turning off an on all the time (you just want to prevent some workstations from having internet access).

You need to configure the workstations that you want to block internet access to using a static IP NOT DHCP. Most routers only assign IPs to addresses above 100 (for example: 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.255) so you should always assign manual IPs below 100 to avoid conflicts.

Then you can use the port filter control panel on the router to just block port 80 to the IP addresses of the computers you want to prevent from having internet access.

If the people who are using these computers are NOT technically savvy, there's a simpler way. Go into Internet Options in Control Panel, Connections Tab, LAN Settings, and check "Use Proxy Server..." and set the Address to 10.0.0.13 and the port to 1. That will prevent the computer from being able to make DNS lookups, effectively killing Internet access.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

two slow

Post by two slow »

I'm on dialup. I setup my server, router and external modem in the basement. I would like to be able to disconnect my internet connection from any machine, rather then going down there to shut the modem down manually. I had it hooked up once from my desktop awhile ago and it would work like any internal modem. Now I'm going through a router it doesn't show the connection in the task bar.
Maybe I need a different setup.
I was tring to set up my dialup through my server, with an internal modem, but couldn't figure it out. Is it possible to set it up this way?
<marquee><span style="width: 100%; Filter: Glow(Color=#3333FF, Strength=2)">I was here</span></marquee>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't understand - you can't possibly be sharing dialup on a broadband router unless that router also supports serial modems.

At either rate, you can't easily hang up the modem remotely if it's being managed by a router - unless the router has that feature in it's control panel.

You would be better off having the server share the dialup connection, than you could remote control the serve using VNC and hang up the modem any time you wanted to that way.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

two slow

Post by two slow »

Yeah it has a serial port for external modems.
No matter what I do I cannot get the ICS working with this internal modem.