cable slowdown and strange logs

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
b-man1

cable slowdown and strange logs

Post by b-man1 »

think this is all caused by too many people w/ infected computers in my area constantly scanning and stealing all the bandwidth?

i have numerous SYN flood attacks in my router's log as well as my cable modem showing "HFC: LOST TRC SYNC- trying to recover" critical errors. searching around showed me that the cable modem is losing it's downstream frequency or something and keeps resetting itself. or...this is 2 different issues.

my pings have gone to hell for online gaming and speeds way down from normal...been going on a few days now. :(

edit: i started to check the logs because my modem's activity light is constantly on...for over 2 days now. not normal at all...

the cable modem page i found is here: cable modem info
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's the same eveywhere. Been playing a lot today. Pings are okay, but the network feels glitchy. Too many worm infected system fucking up everything I guess.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

i bypassed my router and put a pc directly onto my cable modem so i could do some sniffing...alot of ICMP traffic (as expected) from the worm(s). :mad
PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

Yeah i was getting the same exact thing bman... my surfboard i think wed night was flipping out on me i called and bitch to Charter but their tech support is cramped with raging idiots that don't know a damn thing.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

hahahaha! too funny. :)

charter here as well. when i called them today the guy said:

"oh, um, that might be happening if we're doing maintenance in your area"

me: "for over 2 days straight?"

him: "oh...i have no idea then"

me: "alright"

him: "yeah, i don't know what would cause that. i have no idea...hmmm"

not that i expected the level 1 dude to be able to actually help me beyond passing me to someone that knows something. hehe. rule #1 in business and tech support is to never say "i don't know". just say "let me record your information and investigate". :D
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

I have been logging the same thing, but the last couple a days it hasn't been as much.