Good firewall program to run on Win2k

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Cryo

Good firewall program to run on Win2k

Post by Cryo »

It looks like my roomate will soon be moving out of my apartment and taking all of his computer gear with him, which includes the firewall that we are currently using for our cable modem conection. I have a new network setup in my head which will move my server, listed down in my profile, into position as the firewall. The system currently is running Win2k and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good program to use as a firewall? Thanks guys.
Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop: Mobile P4, 1.4GHz, 15" SXGA, 512MB DDR (266), 32MB DDR Nvidia GF2, 30GB Hard drive, 8x4x32x CD-RW/DVD, Zip250, Integrated NIC/Modem, Windows 2000, LiIon Battery
----------------------------------
DVD/DivX/MP3 Multimedia machine: Mini-ITX Via 800MHz motherboard (onboard video, audio, ethernet), 2x40GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard drives, Sony 8x/8x4x32x DVD/CD-RW, Sigma RealMagic X-Card, USB Wireless 802.11b: Total machine size 8in. x 8in x 11in(!!!)
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

Originally posted by DocSilly
Kerio Personal Firewall :D

ditto
this is what I currently use

easy to use. when you first use it, it defalts to a "learning" mode. Every connection that comes in and goes out, has to get your approval first

So lets say you start up Trillian. The alert box pops up asking to allow or deny the connection. If you select "allow" while the "always" box is checked, then you will never be asked the question to allow trillian again (until you update it, then you gotta "re-learn" it)

Same thing applies to any incomming connection. It will alert you of someone from ip xxx-xxx-x-xxx wants to connect, allow or deny
deny it with always checked and it will always block that incomming specific connection

i love it
Gone for good. But never say never
Cryo

Post by Cryo »

Have either of you used this as a firewall for an internal home network?
Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop: Mobile P4, 1.4GHz, 15" SXGA, 512MB DDR (266), 32MB DDR Nvidia GF2, 30GB Hard drive, 8x4x32x CD-RW/DVD, Zip250, Integrated NIC/Modem, Windows 2000, LiIon Battery
----------------------------------
DVD/DivX/MP3 Multimedia machine: Mini-ITX Via 800MHz motherboard (onboard video, audio, ethernet), 2x40GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard drives, Sony 8x/8x4x32x DVD/CD-RW, Sigma RealMagic X-Card, USB Wireless 802.11b: Total machine size 8in. x 8in x 11in(!!!)
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

I use an old P133 with the Linux-based IPCop firewall to secure my internal network from the outside. It gives me the advantage to open/forward certain ports I need on my internal Win2k PC.
I use Kerio on my Win2000 PC to stop spyware and other nosy software from calling home.

I really can't answer your question unless I have a rough overview of your network setup and what your concern is.
Kerio can secure an internal home network from intruders when setup on the gateway PC.
If yer wondering about internal file sharing, worry no more, Kerio has options to add internal IPs for trusted networking.
Absolut Talent
Almighty Member

Post by Absolut Talent »

currently...i am using this on my main rig
each system is connected to the router with its built in firewall....but my mainrig is in the DMZ with this loaded

so after re-reading, you want to load the firewall on that one system and use it to block the bad things going to the other systems? I cant see why you cant use it that way

and with it being free, its worth a shot to fool around with it to make sure you likeit
Gone for good. But never say never
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

you might also want to consider a router with a built in firewall - they are less than $100 - may be less vulnerable to MS exploits and if you use that as the dns/nat server the network is still up (just in case you make an "adjustment" to your server that takes it out of service :)
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>