Best way to network 1 System on Network Via WIFI

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Red Dawn
Golden Member

Best way to network 1 System on Network Via WIFI

Post by Red Dawn »

I have one computer that I want to connect to our LAN via WIFI. The Router and Switch are on the second floor (we are on the 3rd) and I have my Workstation hooked up to it and the other Workstation connected to the network via Bridge on my Computer and Cross Over Cable. Now I want to Connect a 3rd Workstation in my bedroom to the Network but running cable to it really isn't an option.

Should I get a Wireless Router/Switch with Multiple RJ45 Ports and Connect my Workstation to one, uplink the Downstairs Router to it via the WAN Port (Disabling the NAT/Firewall ,etc. on the Wireless Router) and use a Wireless USB adapter on the 3rd Workstation in the bedroom? Is this a workable solution or would I run into problems doing this?
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Let me understand. There's broadband downstairs connected to a cable/DSL router already right?

Yes, you could "stack" Wifi router/switch AP after the downstairs router (take one of the switch ports from the downstairs router and connect it to the WAN jack on the wireless router).

HOWEVER it is a bit tricky. Both routers CAN'T use the same base network address (most routers use 192.168.x.x). You'll need to change the IP address of the wireless router - 10.0.0.1 works fine.

Connect the wireless router to a computer by itself (off the network) so you can access it's menu and change it's IP. Don't disable NAT/Firewall. Don't disable DHCP either - the wireless router will need to act as the DHCP server for your LAN using the 10.0.x.x base IP.

Once you connect the wireless router to the one downstairs it'll automatically configure itself via DHCP - no special settings required.

There's another way to do this is you're not worried about security - you can get an Access Point (with no built in router) and just connect it to the downstairs LAN. However standalone APs are a little hard to find, and they're not much cheaper than a router/AP anymore.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Red Dawn
Golden Member

Post by Red Dawn »

There's another way to do this is you're not worried about security - you can get an Access Point (with no built in router) and just connect it to the downstairs LAN. However standalone APs are a little hard to find, and they're not much cheaper than a router/AP anymore.
I'd prefer to do that but then I'd have to run another cable from the 3rd floor to the second floor.

Here's another scenario. How about I get 2 USB WIFI Adapters, connect one to my WS (the other to the 3rd WS) and use the one on my system as a bridge? Is it possible to use more the one NIC as a bridge (besides the one connectred to the Switch downstairs.)
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
HOWEVER it is a bit tricky. Both routers CAN'T use the same base network address (most routers use 192.168.x.x). You'll need to change the IP address of the wireless router - 10.0.0.1 works fine.
um, I have two routers, DSL goes to the Linksys IP 192.168.1.1 then from the linksys it goes to the nexland IP 192.168.0.1 and it works fine with both them on the 192.168.x.x
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Originally posted by Red Dawn
Here's another scenario. How about I get 2 USB WIFI Adapters, connect one to my WS (the other to the 3rd WS) and use the one on my system as a bridge? Is it possible to use more the one NIC as a bridge (besides the one connectred to the Switch downstairs.)
yes you can connect two PC's together via WIFI cards. You just need to configure the cards to talk to each other and not look for a AP
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
Red Dawn
Golden Member

Post by Red Dawn »

Hmm here's a link detailing how I go about using a WIFI Router as a Passive Switch According to this article you turn off all the Router Services on the WIFI Router and set the WIFI Router IP address within the Subnet of the Wired Router. You also don't use the WAN Port on the WIFI. If the Wired Router or Switch doesn't have an uplink port you then use a cross over cable to connect the Wireless the the Network. YMMV :)

Hmm I'm thinking that maybe I will just get another regular Switch and run Cable up the wall and across the ceiling :)
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I had trouble once with a two routers using 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x, and I had to use 10.0.0.x for the 2nd one. That's why I recommended it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Red Dawn
Golden Member

Post by Red Dawn »

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin
I had trouble once with a two routers using 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x, and I had to use 10.0.0.x for the 2nd one. That's why I recommended it.
Trust me, I really appreciate your input and I definately will keep your advice in mind!
Ich bin ein PC Mißbrauch