56K auto dissconect not working

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Pugsley

56K auto dissconect not working

Post by Pugsley »

ok.. i fold.. so i want my coputers to connect when needed then hang up when done... this used to work. But lately it isnt hanging up.. it just sits idle and packets move in and out at a slow rate... i ran and have no spy crap.. i thinking its somting to do with that RCP crap.. cause that about when it started not hanging up after 10 minuets idle.. so i set it to 5 and still no go... i dont want it on 1 minuet casue that gonna casue problems... any way to figure out why its sending/receving packets at random causing the idle timer to get reset? im on XP.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Incoming packets could be your problem. Imagine someone used a p2p program and went offline and you get his IP when you dialin the next time. The p2p apps remember that old IP for a while and try to reconnect to it, thus creating traffic incoming on your connection. This is also often a problem for broadband routers that're supposed to go offline after a set idletime. I can't think of a solution right now, might add some more comments when I think about something.
Oh yes, a firewall doesn't help for this problem since it sits behind your modem.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

well only P2p stuff i use is BT... havent used KaZaA in like 2 months... so if BT is causing it this sucks.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

it doesn't have to be YOUR p2p usage, I doubt BT would cause that problem at all. It is more the all to common edonkey/emule traffic from the user that had the dialup IP before you get it.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

OMG! i never even thought of that possibility... that every time i DU i get a different IP that sombody else could of been using for that! well then this double sucks since its out of my controll! CRAP!