tweaking wireless through-put (I think...)

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
TheDude
Genuine Member

tweaking wireless through-put (I think...)

Post by TheDude »

anyone know anything about tweaking wireless through-put?

I just got a centrino laptop and I brought it home to get all my goodies from my home network (trillian, sys tools, partition magic, ghost, etc...) but in transferring the files, I can only seem to get about 46% utilization on the wireless (802.11b - 11Mbps). The machine it's connecting to (100Mbps) reports about 4-5% utilization, which would make sense.

Even with the laptop on the same desk as the wireless router (Linksys wireless-b dsl/cable router + 4 port hub) in line of sight, and the MAX I can get is about 40-47%.

fyi: im using winXP pro networking monitor to look at traffic. I have the latest drivers for the wireless controller. I wish this was a PC, I'd buy a different nic...grrrr.

So anything I can do to get the most out of the wireless?

TIA
My Rig:
P4 EE 3.2 GHz (2MB L3 Cache)
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
Radeon 9800 Pro (414/365)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
(2) 120GB Seagate Baracuda V
Audigy 2 Platinum
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

that is the max you will be able to get, it is the TCP/IP over hang that causes the slow down.

untill TCP/IP gets re-writen, there is that slow down because of all the cross checks it needs to do
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

You could try using FTP to transfer large files instead of the Explorer (which I guess is what you use), it has less overhead.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm... I wonder how well NetBEUI works over wireless? I used to love NetBEUI - nice fast protocal for file transfer. Just not sure if it would handle data dropout inherent in Wifi very well.

I should experiment with that on my lappy. Might speed up my daily file syncs.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.