Problem with a microsoft wired base station

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
StEaLtH-X

Problem with a microsoft wired base station

Post by StEaLtH-X »

I'm trying to route my internet connection with a MS Wired Basestation.. It came with a wizard which is supposed to set it up for ya.. It goes thru most of the wizard but after I hook the modem and wires to the base station it says it cant detect the internet, it says the reason could be a software or enabled firewall.. I have the windows firewall disabled and i'm not running any Antivirus/Firewall software.. Any help would be appreciated..
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

are all your ISP settings correct in the router?
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Wired basestation"? This is just a regular wired DSL/Cable router, not WiFi?

You using DSL or Cable? If it's cable there absolutely nothing you have to do - it's plug and play. You DO usually have to power cycle the cable modem (turn it off and on) whenever you change what device it's connected to (computer or modem). The cable modem lcoks itself to the MAC address of the device it's connected to.

If it's DSL and you use PPPOE then you need to enter the username and password and select PPPOE in the router's setup page.

You don't need to use any wizard software. Just browse the IP of the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 - check your documentation) and enter the admin password.

If it's a WiFi router then you really don't need to do anything else except setup WEP encryption if you're worried about someone hacking into your network via a wireless connection. use the same WEP key on the router and the wireless NIC.

I wouldn't worry about WEP encryption until you get the router working properly first.

More info: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.