What is the difference between stranded and solid crimp tools

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Basterb

What is the difference between stranded and solid crimp tools

Post by Basterb »

I just picked up a RJ45 crimp tool and I see that it says for use only on stranded wire. I've got solid wire. Will it still work. What is the differences in tools
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

um, I think you have stranded solid wire.

"I Think" this is how it is

there is no "solid" network cable. That would be one thik wire.

The wires inside the stranded cable may be solid, but it is still stranded ( because it is many cables in the one ). Now if you took out that wire and it was alone, then it would be solid.

please correct me if I am wrong
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

your cable should look like this

it is stranded
Image Image Image

DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

ok, I was a littke off in my first post.

I found this

Solid vs. Stranded Network Cabling, What's the difference?

Solid conductor uses 1 solid wire per conductor, so in a 4 pair(8 conductor) roll, there would be a total of 8 solid wires. Stranded conductor uses multiple wires wrapped around each other in each conductor, so in a 4 pair(8 conductor) 7 strand roll, there would be a total of 56 wires.

Solid conductor is useful because it can be punched down onto wall jacks and since it is a single conductor, it seats properly in a insulation displacement connector. Solid is less useful when you are terminating RJ-45 connectors on it because most RJ-45 connectors use 2 prongs which penetrate the conductor. This is bad for solid because it has the tendency to break when it is penetrated. Using a 3 prong connector creates a good connection and doesn't break the conductor, because the 3 prongs wrap around the conductor instead of penetrating it. It is recommended using stranded for patch cables, even if you have the 3 prong connectors because the most solid connection is made by penetrating multiple stranded connectors. Stranded cable is much less useful for punching down on wall jacks because the strands do not keep their perfect round shape when thrust into a insulation displacement connector. For best results, use solid for wall jacks and stranded for crimp connectors.
Image Image Image

Basterb

Post by Basterb »

I knew the differences in the types of wire. But anyways are you saying the tool should be the same for both and just the connectors are different?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've never heard of a different tool for solid and stranded. The tool NEVER touches the wire itself so it makes no difference.

I have seen crimps labelled for either solid or stranded or both.

Most network cable you buy in bulk is solid. Patch cables are generally stranded so they can be more flexible.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.