bredband (ADSL) + FAX?

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
UK1nation
Genuine Member

bredband (ADSL) + FAX?

Post by UK1nation »

hello all,
i have a PCI modem installed in my PC and a 'bredband' (ADSL) internet connection, i know that ADSL is digital and that a FAX needs an analogue connection....but could i connect the PCI modem directly to the phone socket at home??

I need to send faxes on a regular basis and would love to be able to do it all from here!

thanks all.....colin
HP Pavilion 061 EG195AA-B1U d4179.se
INTEL P4 -(HT technology), 3,60GHZ,800mhz FSB,
(4x) 512MB PC4200 DDR-533 ram. (2x)160GB SATAII drives. 2x 250GB SATAII drives (1x) 160GB external hard drive. Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB graphic card. HP dvd burner 'with LIGHTSCRIBE'. HP 23" flat screen.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If your computer has a regular dialup modem installed, most modems are also fax modems. Just connect the modem to your phone line (I assume you still have regular phone service in addition to ADSL?).

It doesn't matter that the DSL and phone share the same line, you can still use any voice or fax device on the phone line. DSL is actually not a digital line. It's a sub-audible audio signal carried piggy-back on a regular phone line to a nearby digital switch, and there it's converted to digital.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

you may need to use the in-line filter when plugging in the modem/fax to prevent interference...just like you do with your phones after DSL is activated on a home line.

DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

you will need tie filters, I have a fax hood up and use it every now and then with no issues
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"