Somebody pinch me - I'm getting real internetz

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

New across the street neighbor came by and said they were getting telco internet put in today 12 Mbs down. I went over and talked to the Frontier tech and he said they had upgraded infrastructure and he was pulling 12/2 from the same box I run from. Called frontier, ordered it, and walked back over to the guy with the order number and said "as long a you're here." Nice guy, he laughed and said this job is going to take a littler longer than they planned - underground utilities ca. 1985.

Probably have to wait a while but it will be a huge step up from 3/.75 (on sunny days) which is what I have now. Might actually be able to watch something on HD.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I am sorely tempted to upgrade to business class Comcast here. I can write it off as a business expense for my home office. Right now I have Comcast Home Internet service at 6/4 (ignoring Comcast's exaggerated Boost speeds). Works great, and Netflix streaming is fast and smooth. However it would be nice to have some more bandwidth - especially on the upload side.

Business class around here is supposed to be something like 12/8 with no packet filtering or throttling, and I'd like to have a static IP.

The only thing is I'm afraid of is to switch to it and find out I have issues with it. My existing service is rock solid. I also need to verify from a real service tech that those speeds are actually attainable here. A lot depends on the nodes. This is a rural area, so sometimes the equipment isn't up to date, and the idiots on the phone will tell you anything you want to hear.

If I do it, I'll probably NOT cancel my home Internet for a month to make sure the business line is working reliably first.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

We put in the business class at my last office (it was 7/2 or something like that)and it was rock solid. Supported 16 users with no real problems except when people started streaming stuff.

Comcast here told me they could give me 50/10 if I gave them $10k to run the line. lol.

I was on the main road yesterday (about 2 miles away) and the were laying fiber optic, so who knows.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Verizon FIOS let us all know that the upload speed will now be the same as the download, so maybe others will follow suit.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Bob, I had the Comcast Biz. Should be fine and it IS nice to know that you can do whatever you want and run whatever type of server you want. Best service I ever had was Comcast's Biz.

Plus, when you need tech support, their Biz dept support is typically a good experience, with guys that know what the hell you're talking about when you describe all the troubleshooting you've already done. They like tech.

Write it off and enjoy it. ;-)
------------------------------------------

CaterpillarAssassin
Almighty Member

Post by CaterpillarAssassin »

I have 25/5 comcast business at my office. Had it for about 5 years. 1 outage that lasted a couple hours. Other than that supports our typical 5 concurrent VoIP calls, all web, a few remote desktops, as well as a boatload of email. Overall I'm really happy with it.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

We have business class Charter at my work and oddly, I've got better speed & reliability at home.
darcy

Post by darcy »

*pinch!* :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I've had Comcast business now for about 7 years in 2 states and 3 cities and it's totally worth it. The few times I've had issues they had a tech at my house without a few hours. I currently have their 50/10 service.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I'm out of town right now but the wife said they came yesterday and were able to pull 11.9/1.4 - which is a huge improvement over 2.7/.75
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

wvjohn wrote:I'm out of town right now but the wife said they came yesterday and were able to pull 11.9/1.4 - which is a huge improvement over 2.7/.75
It's 2014, how have you been surviving on 2.7 down?!? Grats.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Moved up from grade F to grade D!

got what looks like a real modem with a cooling fan and everything ;)

psypher - when 2.7 is all that is available, you just have to grin and bear it.