Comcast Starting Data Caps

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Cap

Comcast Starting Data Caps

Post by Cap »

F them!

$30 bucks more a month removes the data Cap altogether.

NSFW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KMcny_pixDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Oh boy! AOL free trials here i come :rolleyes:
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
wvjohn

We're gonna see more of this

Post by wvjohn »

IMHO all the unlimited data plans have been a grab for market share. Everyone is running out of bandwidth and wireless frequencies (I read somewhere that they are even poaching on WiFi frequencies in some areas).

I think we will see a whole lot more of this in the future, as prices start to reflect real costs and tech limits.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
renovation

Post by renovation »

what sucks for a lot of American's they only have one choice . when it comes to TV and internet providers in these area . so there really no way you will be able to fight what is decided for you in service by them. I happen to be one of them when in Michigan . Comcast or no internet service at all. TV I do kind of have a choice Comcast or Rabbit ears. there is also government intervention that keeps this a no bid war. they regulate how much of a area these provide company's have . then there the spoken and unspoken law they go by as to not cross into a different territory. were the same type of cable service is provided. same holds true for utility companys like water,gas and electrical supplier's .one can have one side of a street but not the other. utility/ tv/internet/phone company's keep a monopoly and its all legal. but if you ran a company like this it be so wrong and you end up in court and pay a ton . sure they broke up the bell phone system years ago but that was only to bring in are now cable supplier's and bring in higher tax revenue's . we had no idea of the bigger picture at the time this was done. the internet was still in its baby stage.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, in their defense, 300GB is a LOT of bandwidth, and way more than the average consumer will use in a month. Heck even I don't come anywhere near that, and I'm certainly a heavier than normal user.

I don't see a problem with heavy bandwidth users paying extra, and I'd rather see a flat rate for unlimited rather than increasingly expensive tiers.

If it comes down to it, I'd pay the $30 a month for unlimited if I was hitting the cap regularly, OR (more likely) upgrade to business class to get the benefit of a higher upload speed and no throttling.

But it's unlikely they'll implement caps around here - this is a rural area and there's no way we're saturating the fiber.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

That's the problem. Everyone wants to provide internet like its magic and nobody wants to maintain infrastructure. They promise way to much to people for the network to handle. IF and this is a big if, everyone tried to max out their connection the entire network would shit itself.

And as it has been said, you don't really have a choice. How is it that internet in other countries is so much cheaper and faster then it is here?
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well, in their defense, 300GB is a LOT of bandwidth, and way more than the average consumer will use in a month. Heck even I don't come anywhere near that, and I'm certainly a heavier than normal user.

I don't see a problem with heavy bandwidth users paying extra, and I'd rather see a flat rate for unlimited rather than increasingly expensive tiers.

If it comes down to it, I'd pay the $30 a month for unlimited if I was hitting the cap regularly, OR (more likely) upgrade to business class to get the benefit of a higher upload speed and not throttling.

But it's unlikely they'll implement caps around here - this is a rural area and there's no way we're saturating the fiber.
With Netflix 4K streaming using 7 Gigabytes per hour, it will probaby happen in a few years.

I agree with FlyingPenguin, the average user should not be paying the same as a bandwidth hog, who is using terrabytes of data per month.
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well, in their defense, 300GB is a LOT of bandwidth, and way more than the average consumer will use in a month. Heck even I don't come anywhere near that, and I'm certainly a heavier than normal user.

If it comes down to it, I'd pay the $30 a month for unlimited if I was hitting the cap regularly, OR (more likely) upgrade to business class to get the benefit of a higher upload speed and not throttling.

Comcast business has no caps as of now.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've never had a cap, but then again, I've always signed up as a business account. Anyone can, using just their personal name.

300GB a month limit would kill me. I'm definitely NOT in that "average user" lump.
I'll do 300G in a week, easily.
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

If you don't mind me asking, is it all streaming? Cause if its not you must own stock in WD
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Pugsley wrote:If you don't mind me asking, is it all streaming? Cause if its not you must own stock in WD
It doesn't really take a whole lot. I'm at 40TB with 17 drives. I used to chew through bandwidth like crazy, but not really growing like it used. I've used 724.90GB in the past 3 months. I used to easily do 1-2TB per month. Nowadays, it grows maybe 3-4TB a year. I still have 3 empty slots in the server, but as I've needed more over time I've simply just replaced the smaller 1.5TB with 4TB. I've also have Comcast business so it's never been an issue. I've had them for 7+ years now.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
Cap

Post by Cap »

uh, psypher, not sharing?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Pugsley wrote:If you don't mind me asking, is it all streaming? Cause if its not you must own stock in WD
We're not too fond of streaming. We D/L everything and store locally until we've seen it and then we'll DEL it afterward.

We have tons of local storage.
8 x 4TB in a Drobo.
4 x 4TB in a Netgear ReadyNAS

8 x 6TB coming later this year in a new Synology box for all our home media content.
------------------------------------------

Cap

Post by Cap »

Los - don't lie, you don't delete sh*t!

You are a datahoarder! :s mile
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Cap wrote:uh, psypher, not sharing?
I tried setting up Apex once and ran into an issue and then got busy with other stuff. I might try again, but I have certain requirements like, I can't share it directly. I have to set up something to allow a listing and then have a request move the file over to where it's shared.
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]