Slight security scare

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
psypher
Golden Member

Slight security scare

Post by psypher »

So I had a bit of a security scare this morning. A coworker tells me he got a spam email with my name as the sender. I had him export the email to text and send it to me as an attachment so I could view the raw email. Sure enough it was a forged email with my display name, but with another email address as the sender. They sent the email as a CC so I could see who else received this email. It was a total of 5 email addresses (one of them a fax to email account). That was the first good sign because it wasn't to everyone that was in my email clients folders. I logged into rackspace (they handle my email service) and sure enough those 5 email addresses only live in their web mail client which I might have used a long time ago to access email over the web. Either way I scanned my desktop and my phone and everything came back clear. Coincidentally Rackspace started experiencing issues with their user/password replication across their multiple sites and services. I don't believe in coincidences all that much, especially when it comes to computers and especially IT security. I can't even change my password because its not replicating. The change currently is only replicating for the web mail client, not their IMAP/POP mail servers.

So my thoughts? I think Rackspace got compromised and they siphoned out user information and any email address for emails sent/received still stored on their servers as they are for their web mail client.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Slight security scare

Post by Losbot »

Sounds like RackSpace had a little security "incident".