Good USB Gigabit NIC - Mini Review

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Good USB Gigabit NIC - Mini Review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have an Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) Dell Optiplex PC in my bedroom I use as a Media Center PC. Got it used to replace an older and bigger PC I had in there.

I've had problems with stuttering video playback on this PC since I first set it up, and after a LOT of diagnosis I nailed it down to some kind of issue with the network port. LAN driver update and downgrade didn't help, but it definitely seemed to be issues with the LAN, so I wanted to replace it. Trouble is, being a USFF form factor, there's no way to add an internal LAN card to this thing - it has no PCI or PCI-E slots.

So on a whim I ordered a couple of these USB Gigabit NICs (bought one for my Surface Pro which doesn't have a LAN jack on it, but I would like to start carrying in the car as my diagnostic laptop.

Anyway, despite the fact that I only have USB 2.0 ports on this PC (so you can't actually get gigabit speeds), that's still okay since you can push 480 mb/s though USB 2.0, and these Media Center PCs really don't need more than 100 mb/s for streaming 1080p from the server or another Media Center PC.

This solved my problem - no more stuttering. Nice little USB NIC if you need one. I recommend downloading the latest Win-ALL driver package from the manufacturer's website because it's newer than the included drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Good USB Gigabit NIC - Mini Review

Post by Losbot »

Nice! Thanks!