Firefox is eating your SSD – here is how to fix it

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Firefox is eating your SSD – here is how to fix it

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Firefox by default backs up all open tabs every 15 seconds for crash protection. It's a full backup of everything open - not selective. If you have a lot of tabs open in then FF could be writing 12+ GB A DAY to your hard drive! That's a lot of writes - especially for SSDs. It's also a hell of a performance hit if it's constantly writing in the background every 15 seconds.

Simple solution is to change "browser.sessionstore.interval" from 15000ms to something higher. I'm using 300,000 (5 minutes) because I never leave more than a few tabs open and I also never save tabs after closing down the browser.

Seems that Chrome does this too, but no mitigation strategy yet.

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is ... to-fix-it/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Firefox is eating your SSD – here is how to fix it

Post by Err »

Thank You. I'll have to fix this when I get home on my main rig. I went ahead and changed it on my laptop too. There's no reason for it to be writing to any hard drive that often.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Holy cow! Every 15 seconds? 5 minutes is more than enough. Wonder who decided to set it at 15 seconds?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Whoa! Thanks for that. 15 secs is ridiculous.