Judge: No, feds can’t nab all Apple devices and try everyone’s fingerprints

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Judge: No, feds can’t nab all Apple devices and try everyone’s fingerprints

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Judge: No, feds can’t nab all Apple devices and try everyone’s fingerprints

Post by Pugsley »

So they can take your prints to ID you but cant make you unlock a phone. IF they have your fingerprints already why not just 3D print a finger to unlock said device?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not as easy as that. While you can make a fake finger from prints, it's not easy and requires taking the prints under ideal conditions.

Plus I gather what's happening here is we have a building full of people and a few of them own the suspected phones. Not all of these people are guilty of anything and none of them or most haven't been charged yet. I don't think you can legally demand someone's finger print unless you book them for a crime, or else convince a Judge to compel them all to do so - you're basically in the same situation.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Oh ok. I must not have understood the complete article. I would think a company would have such a device on the market by now.