WikiLeaks CIA Dump Offers Nothing But Old News

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

WikiLeaks CIA Dump Offers Nothing But Old News

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The mainstream press is overblowing this a bit. Apparently intelligence communities have known about this leak since last year, and they may even have a pretty good idea of where it happened.

It's still a big deal, and a big embarrassment for the CIA, but it's actually old data from 2014.

It also concerns TARGETTED hacks. This isn't like NSA programs designed to "hoover" up data. They're hacks used on a targeted individual, and since it's the CIA one would suppose only foreign nationals. NSA and FBI are the ones who are allowed to spy on Americans either via court order or a FISA warrant. They all require some way to plant malware on the device or computer either via phishing, or good old fashioned break-ins.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/? ... rrify-you/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: WikiLeaks CIA Dump Offers Nothing But Old News

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The mainstream press leaches on to any sensational headline these days. I suspect that the CIA is busy trying to track down real crimes that to worry about someone's browsing habits. This story is more worrisome in my opinion and I haven't seen it reported anywhere other than tech sights.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... sing-data/
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

It is older stuff and it is all pre-IOT.

On the link Err posted, sadly 95% of Congress is serious clown patrol material as far as tech is concerned. Big Biz tells them sharing internet data is not a bad thing, so they jump for it.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

My wife recently asked why I carried a firearm around the house, I told her it was because of the recent leak of the CIA hacking everything, she thought it was absurd.
She laughed. I laughed. The Smart TV laughed.
I shot the TV.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

+1 on the tv.