How to install the fastest internetz in the hood

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
wvjohn

How to install the fastest internetz in the hood

Post by wvjohn »

I suspect the fact that this guy worked at PCGamer helped a bunch with Comcast. They want 10k to run 1/2 mile of coax pole to pole to my house. Long with lots of pics.

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-its-like-to ... et_1219226

psypher
Golden Member

Re: How to install the fastest internetz in the hood

Post by psypher »

That's bad ass. Props for using pfSense, awesome firewall, it's what I use at home. More people need to read this so they can realize why the hell it's been so difficult getting fiber to homes. It's a pain in the ass and not cheap. They've been running fiber up and down the main street where my neighborhood is on, so I'm hoping they'll make their way into the neighborhood one day. I laugh at him talking about 1G and 2G and their costs. We're dealing with crazy 10G connections at work and some crazy low latency between data centers across the US.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I kinda figured they would have to bring in a mini-fracking rig to get the fiber there, but I was very surprised at the $$ of all the gear inside the house.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

And like he said, Just how many services do you use that could take advantage of all that? If it were me I would set up a rack in a closet and rent out space so I make some extra money in the end.