How Cloudflare Helps Serve Up Hate on the Web

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How Cloudflare Helps Serve Up Hate on the Web

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, I was outraged at first but the more I read, I really had to step back a bit.

The one thing that Cloudflare did wrong, IMO, is forwarding the complaints along with names and emails to the web site, although it IS clearly stated in their terms on the page when you file a complaint. It's still a sucky policy, especially when they have to know how the hate group running the website respond to complaints (threats, etc).

But as far as hosting a hate site, I don't think any ISP or content delivery service should be Internet moms - UNLESS the web site is doing something illegal. That's Free Speech 101 from civics class in high school. Everyone has a right to say what they want, even if a lot of other people find it offensive.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how- ... on-the-web
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: How Cloudflare Helps Serve Up Hate on the Web

Post by Genom »

Free speech does not apply in this case. If they wanted to block the site and cancel the contract, they entirely can. That said, it's a private company that wants to make money. Depending on the outrage this type of article incites, they will or they wont entirely depending on the amount of contracts they get/lose.