New house networking & wireless NanoBeam virtual ethernet

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: New house networking & wireless NanoBeam virtual ethernet

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Actually that's only half available bandwidth. I forgot that I left it configured to split the bandwidth between up and down, so that was only around 150Mbit.

I just reposed a screenshot of file transfer at full bandwidth and getting 40MBit/s.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:New NanoBeam dish installed and it's connecting to the LAN at a full 1 Gbit.

File tranfer speed just copying a large video file from the server at the old house to a PC at the new house:

I thought you didn't like MKV files? :) Just messin' with ya'
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I just reposed a screenshot of file transfer at full bandwidth and getting 40MBit/s.
You mean 40 MB/s

Details details. ;)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ya. 40MB/s.

No, I don't like .mkv files because Media Center can't play them, and I converted that one to .mp4, but I wanted to keep a backup of it in original quality just in case.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Ya. 40MB/s.

No, I don't like .mkv files because Media Center can't play them, and I converted that one to .mp4, but I wanted to keep a backup of it in original quality just in case.
Media Center? You should get off that hehe. Time for KODI and/or Plex :)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not until I have to. You'll have to pry my media center from my cold dead hands. :)

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Plex is the bomb, and supports tuners now. plays anything I throw at it. Little Roku units on all the TV's. So simple my wife can handle it.

Even managed to train her on how to use a indexer to mark whatever stuff she wants, so now she wont bug me :D
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've got a spare SFF Pc. May set it up with Plex to play with it.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Not until I have to. You'll have to pry my media center from my cold dead hands. :)
It's 2017, let it go. it's ok, trust me. Nothing bad will happen.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Genom wrote:Plex is the bomb, and supports tuners now. plays anything I throw at it. Little Roku units on all the TV's. So simple my wife can handle it.

Even managed to train her on how to use a indexer to mark whatever stuff she wants, so now she wont bug me :D
Same. I only have a full blown Windows HTPC in the basement home theater. But the rest of the TVs all have Rokus using the Plex App. I bought a lifetime license when it was available.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I love Plex. It's also an app on the Synology, so I have the Plex server running on the Synology so some of my friends can stream from me and vice versa. Great when traveling. Just take an Amazon fire stick with us and I can stream from my Plex to wherever we are. Plus it organizes everything real nicely and keeps track of what episodes we've seen.
Last edited by Losbot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Went ahead and ordered these commercial Access Points made by Comtrend. They are commercial grade and high power. I love the magnetic wall mount. The Comtrends are unmanaged so you just log into them like any router or AP. They also support multiple access points on VLANs internally so I can setup separate secure and guest access points in each unit.

The Ubiquiti in-wall units are very pretty but also difficult to setup. In addition to requiring an Ubiqiti POE router, they have to be managed using a Java based application you need to run on a PC on the network. I'm also not sold on their range, being stuck in a wall electrical box with no antennas. Call me old fashioned, but I like antennas.

When I carefully studied the house plans, I realized that all the APs can be placed in hidden locations (electrical closet, the server closet, and in the case of the family room it'll be behind a couch) so nothing will show.

https://www.amazon.com/Comtrend-560mW-A ... oint&psc=1

Check out the magnetic wall mount in the video:

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

I went with commercial WAPs about a year ago and couldn't be happier. I picked up several refurb Ruckus 7982 WAPs (originally $1K+ each, refurb for $50...ha...typically used in hotels or large commercial environments). They are only 802.11n, but coverage was more important for me and MIMO 3x3:3. They go through the stucco and concrete in my home without a problem.

FP- On another note, where did you get the shelves in your new office? Prefab or custom built? I'm looking for something similar in my office and having trouble finding large ones like that.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Prefab Melamine from Rubbermaid, although you have to go through a subcontractor. Not sure if you can buy direct. They look quite nice.

Here's a site I Googled thats a dealer, showing the products. We had the master closet done with this with integrated dressers and crown moulding:
http://www.closet-magic.com/wood/wood-melamine.htm