HDMI over Ethernet, update

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

HDMI over Ethernet, update

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The J-Tech Digital HDMI Extender (HDMI over Ethernet) adapters I bought for the new house haven't worked out very well. They are susceptible to lightning damage, and all three died. I'm using these to send the HDMI signal from the CCTV DVR to all the HDTVs in the house so you can watch the security camera feed on any TV.

However, the AGPtEK USB HDMI KVM Extender Over Ethernet adapter I'm using to remotely control the CCTV DVR from my desk (HDMI and Mouse control) seems to be much more robust, and has held up fine.

Checking AGPtEK's website, I discovered they make HDMI extenders of their own, likely using the same chipset, AND they have another really nice feature: you only need ONE transmitter (the J-Tech system needed a transmitter and receiver pair for each HDTV). The one transmitter can go through a standard switch - either your existing network switch or it's own dedicated switch off the main network (gigabit recommended). Since I wanted to keep things isolated, I just used a dedicated 5 port gigabit switch to connect the transmitter to the four receivers. This greatly simplifies things, requiring a lot less hardware and wiring in the utility closet.

AGPtek LKV373A 365ft/120M HDMI Extender over LAN Routers/Switchers Ethernet Network RJ45 CAT5 CAT6-Single Source from 1080P Full HD:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TO8SX7G/re ... UTF8&psc=1

The HDMI over Ethernet stuff was just lying on the top shelf in a messy pile while I was testing it, but now that I seem to have a reliable system I went ahead and mounted everything to the board in the utility closet, to make everything look neat. The HDMI over Ethernet stuff is on the right:

This is the manufacturer's diagram showing the installation option I'm using with a dedicated switch:
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: HDMI over Ethernet, update

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh wow. MUCH better system than the old one. The old J-Tech system required minimum CAT5E (all 4 pairs) and used some funky proprietary communications protocol.

This new system uses the standard Ethernet IP protocol, and as such can run on CAT5 (2 pairs). This solves a minor dilemma I have: in the master bedroom I made the mistake of only installing one network jack on the wall with the TV. Everywhere else I have at least two (one for Ethernet for the Media Center PC, and one for the HDMI over Ethernet CCTV feed). Since the new HDMI over Ethernet system will work over 2 pairs, I've split the one CAT6 cable there into two network jacks. The PC doesn't need anything faster than 100Mbit/s to stream off the other PCs or the server, so that's cool.

Been running that PC over 5Ghz Wifi, but I see lag sometimes when browsing directories, and occasional lag when fast forwarding or rewinding. Hard wire is ALWAYS better.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: HDMI over Ethernet, update

Post by Losbot »

Nice work and thanks for the product info.