GDPR and domain contact info

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

GDPR and domain contact info

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Those of you who own domains may find that your registrant & admin contact info is now private. That's because of GDPR.

You used to have to pay extra for this. Hilariously, my registrar STILL has a separate fee for domain privacy despite the fact that it's masked by default for GDPR now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Re: GDPR and domain contact info

Post by b-man1 »

Funny you mention that, since I just transferred two of my domains from GoDaddy to Namecheap because of it. GoDaddy wanted $10/yr per domain for their privacy option. Automatically added to my cart at checkout for convenience...how thoughtful! It was cheaper to transfer to Namecheap and renew for double the years and they already include privacy up front, with no games. Well, there were games...GoDaddy made it about as difficult as possible to transfer away from them and I had to involve Namecheap's tech support to finally get it done. The support was excellent from them too.

I have to say, their management interface is vastly better than GoCrappy as well.