Cloud storage recommendations

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Cloud storage recommendations

Post by Losbot »

I'm looking at possibly backing up my NAS devices to the cloud. Are there any decent ones with unlimited storage still around?
I don't want to spend $500/mo because for that, I'll just buy another Synology and clone the damn thing. LOL
I want to find a relatively inexpensive option so that if the house were to burn down, I'd not lose everything on my NAS devices.
During hurricanes, I shutdown and place the NAS boxes in my safe since I know that won't go anywhere and is fire rated as well.

Thoughts?
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Cloud storage recommendations

Post by psypher »

https://www.cloudberrylab.com for the backup software. I've been using it for years at home and with various clients. It just works and it doesn't tie you to any specific storage provider (https://www.cloudberrylab.com/solutions ... orage.aspx).

You can pick from any of the top storage providers, but I believe Backblaze is the cheapest.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

How much data? I still use Backblaze for home pc cloud backup, but they also offer affordable bulk storage via Backblaze B2:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm looking to see what's available but if I could backup up my Synology NAS, that would be great. Currently sitting at around 25TB used space. So far, I'm not finding any reasonably priced (for individuals) options for unlimited. I might just have to get a 2nd Synology and start buying drives for it. Then setup high availability to mirror them.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I still just use Amazon S3 storage. Duplicati is free and supports it. Admittedly, I only have a couple TB, but it's like 5 bucks a month cause I have it on the long term object storage since it's strictly for a emergency that loses the important NAS data on both local backups.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

Did you end up finding anything? I'd be surprised if you find an unlimited service that allows NAS backups...haven't seen that before. You can get unlimited for desktops all day long, but I'm not aware of any unlimited on the NAS side. If there are, businesses would be loading up on that and the provider would crash and burn. :)

The only way is if the service allows mapped drives, but that's typically restricted as well.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm looking at G Suite. I've received conflicting information regarding it. When I check online, the G site says you need at least 5 people to get unlimited. Others have said they signed up and even with just 1 or 2 users created, they're getting unlimited storage. They're just seeing a 750GB transfer limit.

I'm willing to create a account and try it out. Maybe I'll just sell accounts to you guys for the same $12/mo and we can all have unlimited storage. :)