Linus Tech Tips tests out Starlink

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Nuby1Canuby

Linus Tech Tips tests out Starlink

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1a2K9ZgNA

Ping 27, 138 Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload. Not bad for the beta with only 1,000 satellites. It will be a game changer for people in remote areas.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Linus Tech Tips tests out Starlink

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah. Heck might even put a hurt on cable companies. Competition is good. Lot's of people around here use Hughes Net satellite for TV and internet, just because they despise Comcast and their prices, or like what happened to me, Comcast won't run a cable to your house from the pole without a fee because of the distance. But Hughes Net internet speed and latency is sad.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Linus Tech Tips tests out Starlink

Post by Err »

I had a friend just sign up for the beta. He's been stuck on DSL for ages even though he has a house in a prime location near a golf course. I saw a reddit post where a guy was getting 11 Mbs down during a snowstorm in Colorado.

I did notice that since Starlink was rolled out, Spectrum magically started offering 300 Mbs and 900 Mbs packages. I'm on the 100 for now. I'd upgrade to the 300 but the upload speed isn't much better than I'm getting now.