How long till the Radeon Ultra??

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Frost
Golden Member

Post by Frost »

I don't know what it will be called! But how long are we talking untill a faster Radeon is released?? Except for speed ATI has nvidia in check in every other category! If they got a super fasr radeon say one running 250core 300DDR memory then they would be kicken ass!!! :) Don't get me wrong they allready are, and I love my 64 vivo, but if they released a faster version there would be no stopping them!

Frost
<a href=mailto:Frost@pcabusers.com>E-mail</a> / <a href=http://heatware.elitehardware.com/view.shtml?action=list&option=frost>Heatware</a> / <a href=http://frostyspc.homestead.com>My computer</a>
dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

Probably won't happen until Nvidia buys them LOL just joking
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't think it's going to happen. I thought I read a news report a few weeks back that said there will not be an "Ultra" Radeon - instead they're moving on to their next technology.
Okay - just found the news article at VE:

<b><i>ATi interview 04:39 AM PST - Billy "Wicked" Wilson - Hardware: ATI (6)
HoH has kicked up in interview with David Nalasco, ATi's Technical Marketing Manager (formerly a Senior Engineer at ATi). They talk nasty about ATi's large driver team, open source, "the sexyness level of Radeon" (I don't even have a "semi", so I think we're safe there), and oh-so much more (if you give a rat's ass about ATi that is. Man, with 3dfx gone, I can't believe how badly I want to see ATI succeed (I don't have a preference of either nVidia or ATI, just want to keep it competitive out there). Here's a snip:

HoH: Win2k support for the Rage Fury Maxx was dropped because you were unable to activate (make use of) the second chip on the card (So I was told in a response from ATI Technical Support). A little while ago there were rumors floating around about a possible Maxx version of the Radeon. These were quickly shot down. Is that same problem persisting? Would it be safe to assume this is the reason for not creating a Maxx version of the Radeon (which would undoubtedly scream)?

DN: <U>This decision not to release a Maxx version of Radeon was related more to marketing issues than technical ones.</U> The Radeon chip does support Maxx technology, but we have been working on significant enhancements to improve performance and compatibility beyond what we were able to achieve with the Rage Fury Maxx. <U>Given the high cost a Radeon Maxx board would carry, and the time frame we would be able to ship it in, we felt it would make more sense to save this technology for our next generation product.</u> </b></i>

Here's the link to the full article: http://www.houseofhelp.com/ati-interview_1.html

[Edited by FlyingPenguin on 02-02-2001 at 01:30 PM]
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.