Ordered an EVGA 1080

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
wvjohn

Ordered an EVGA 1080

Post by wvjohn »

I know, early bird pays more. But my wife has been having some serious heart issues (which are clearing and she'll be ok) but she's on light duty for 6 weeks, so I'll be hanging around the house more than usual.

Ordered from newegg and status says it's in packaging.

Couldn't get an in-stock at amazon, but somebody in this thread http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/vid ... a/gtx1080/ posted Newegg links and I got in on one of those.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Ordered an EVGA 1080

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice. I'd like to rationalize buying one, but my GTX 980 still more than does the job, and having just sunk a bunch of bread on the new workstation, don't feel like taking the ding in the wallet.

Maybe at the end of the year or when some must-have game isn't giving me the sustained 75+ FPS I demand nowadays.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Nice. Like FP my 980ti is going strong. Honestly, I'll probably keep en eye on the prices and pick up another for SLI.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

This will definitely be a step up from my 970. I don't really overclock anything anymore and this will be more than fast enough. Folks with 980s and 980 GTIs will be able to pick up 2nd cards for cheap for sure.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Well, I got it on Wed, but really haven't had a chance to stretch it out on anything because my internet has been down most of the week (Frontier=3rdWorldNet) and I can't download patches to any eye candy games like Witcher3 or demos like firestrike.

It is slightly larger than my MSI 970, and the solid cover made it a little challenging to get into my mobo. The bottom end comes down on top of some sata plugs.

The first time I installed it, my system wouldn't post. Swapped back the old one, same result. I guess I must have jiggled something when I was cleaning the case out. of course couldn't look up the post codes 'cause no internet.

reset ram, etc., and got it to post > corrupt bios message> use default bios > post. Then it was good to go.

Played with the EVGA overclocking a little bit, and it reported getting over 2000 on the gpu. It does a fraps type display, but I couldn't find anything challenging enough to really push it. Looks like it will jump to lowest idle whenever possible. seems pretty quiet.

more later.