Are these good deals?

Discussions and tips on NVidia, ATI, etc. and Video Editing Forum
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Are these good deals?

Post by Executioner »

Thanks all. I think at this point, I'll get the 1060.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125881
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good choice. Newer architecture is better.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Since I have a 660, I'm assuming I can just pull it and put in the new card without deleting the existing drivers prior to installing it?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup. That's my experience. NVidia drivers just see the new card and it's cool with it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well guess what? The card does not fit! I have 2 choices:
1. Send it back
2. Keep it on the shelf for who knows how long
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Any way you can modify the case? I've seen some cases where the card extends into the hard drive bay, and people have relocated the drive and cut out part of the bay.

Newegg has an easy return policy. Just log into your account, go to returns, and you check off the item you want to return. They also generate a mailing label for you if I remember.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah the one you got is almost 11 inches - that's a LONG card. They do make a shorter 1060 at 9 inches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

They also just released a cut down 1060, although it isn't as powerful as a standard 1060. It has less memory, fewer cores, smaller memory bandwidth. A lot of people complaining that it should be called a 1030 since it's not in the same class.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10580/nvi ... x-1060-3gb

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I wish they would have the length of the card in the specs. How did you find the difference?

I went ahead to get an RMA, and I mentioned to them to send me the one in your link that is ~9 inches, which is the same length as my GTX660 card.

I could have made the card work, but I did not want to hassle with modifying my case. I would also need to get some 45 degree angle cables for the serial connectors on the motherboard.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That stinks. I didn't know you were limited on space. I also didn't expect the 1060 to be 11 inches long.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The length of the card IS usually in the spec. Newegg usually gives them, and you can also go to the manufacturer's site.

Here's the card length of the one you ordered from the link you posted to NewEgg:

Anyway, yeah that 9 inch version will work fine. It's clocked just a bit slower then the longer one. I guess that longer one needs more heatsink to get the higher clock speeds.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Shit I missed it in the specs, but I had no idea the cards are now that long. I have an old Antec case:

which has plenty of room, but that sucker would require me to remove about 1/4 of an inch to get it just to go in.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Wow, I would have assumed that it would fit in an Antec case. I just assumed you had an OEM system like a Dell and there's not much room in those things.

I always go for really deep cases myself. I think my current GTX 980 is 10-1/2 inches long.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Got this back from newegg:
Thank you for requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) at Newegg.com.

Your RMA (RMA Number: xxxxxxxx) return was received and sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination.

Unfortunately, the item(s) we received is classified as a "Consumable Item" and cannot be replaced or refunded once opened.

Here are a few examples of consumable item(s):

Printer Ink Cartridges or Toner
Software (any Software that includes a registration key or activation number)
Blank CD or DVD Media
Paper Products
Non-refundable products

For further assistance, we recommend contacting the manufacturer directly to see if they can offer repair or replacement of the item(s) under manufacturer warranty. Please use the following link to find the contact info for any manufacturer whose items we carry: Contact Manufacturer.

We greatly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thank you for your patience and understanding. The item(s) is currently being shipped back to you and should arrive in approximately 5 - 10 business days.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please visit our Customer Service Contact Us Page.

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
Since I've been a long time customer and never returned any item, this being my first, I told them to cancel my account. I probably should have ordered it from Amazon instead. So they are sending it back, and I'll see if I can sell it for $200 as an open box type item. Now I can understand the items listed above as a "consumable" type item, but a video card? They must have been screwed by users in the past with video cards.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That is some grade A BS.

Like you said, just buy from Amazon. You may be at the point where it would be simpler to keep the card and buy a case that would accommodate it. I have a spare Apevia Explorer that should work but the front is pink and the shipping would cost as much as buying a new one from Amazon (if you have prime).

Here are a couple reasonably priced cases with prime shipping:

https://smile.amazon.com/DeepCool-ATX-T ... 2470955011

https://smile.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Wi ... 2470955011

If you don't have prime, I'll buy it and have it shipped to you as a gift. Then you can paypal me the money.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You might try contacting the manufacturer. Might be worth spending a half hour on the phone to explain the situation and maybe they can do an exchange for the shorter version and only charge you for shipping.

A video card is not a consumable. HOWEVER I do know they sometimes have special deals where they clearly state it's not a returnable item, and they'll only replace it with the same model if it fails within 30 days.

Did you do the RMA through the web interface? It shouldn't have even let you do a return if it didn't quality for a return.

Newegg has been changing. For instance they now have resellers like Amazon. I NEVER buy from a reseller. You can filter search results for NewEgg only.